A guest post by Jay Wilner
Being part of a military family has got to be such a challenge. Although I have never been in a military familiy, I can only imagine the stress and challenges that come with a spouse being in the military. Besides all the difficulties of running a family when your significant other is deployed, you have to manage your your household, take care of your children and ensure your family budget stays on track.
To help your military family stay on financial track, I thought it would be helpful to put together a "round-up", or compilation of resources about personal loans, how they are structured, how to shop for lenders and other tips. That way, you have that information available when you looking for a financial partner for your household. I also includes some other resource types including Twitter users and some useful tools.
Personal Loan Basics
Here are some resources that provide you lists of resources and pages about the basics of personal loans. I tried to make sure most of these resources were recent (within the past year).
- Personal Loan Basics and Where to Get a Loan - great basic summary of secured and unsecured personal loans, the various options for your lender.
- Guide to the types of Personal Loans - Breaks out the different types of personal loans (secured, unsecured, home equity, line of credit, cash advance and more
- Are Personal Loans Right for Me? - Article from Mint, a great resource owned by Intuit and written by John Ulzheimber, an expert on credit reporting and blogger for National Foundation for Credit Counseling - breaks down the factors to consider like interest rates, terms, the credit score influence and more. One good point John mentions is that there is without a doubt, a huge difference between personal loans and credit cards and that if you have the discipline, personal loans are a great way to get rid of credit card debt and get back on track.
- Loans to Avoid When Looking for Financial Help - a "Dummies" book article so it's pretty basic but does remind you of the common loan types and their pros and cons.
- Basics of Personal Loans - good summary on personal loan types
- Simple Financial Concepts to be Aware of - Great article on various financial formulas and terms you should know about, written in easy to understand format!
Heavy Hitter Twitter Users
Try using Twitter as a precise way of getting relevant, instant tips and up to date information about personal loans and finance. Here are some of the most influential (high social authority) Twitter users.
Lists of the Top Personal Finance Blogs
In addition to following the top Twitter users, here are some lists of the 'top' personal finance bloggers. Check out these blogs and if you like them, use one of the main RSS readers to keep up on everything you need to know about personal loans and financial management.
- Top Personal Finance Blogs - List of top blogs, created by one of the blogs on the list!
- Top 50 Personal Finance Blogs – Here’s another top 50 list, you will see some of the blogs are listed here as well. I would take that as verification those blogs are the real deal.
Mr. Jay Wilner is managing partner at Out of Bounds Communications, a digital marketing agency based in Kansas City. He writes on a variety of financial, military and technology topics. He wrote this article on behalf of SET Financial, an up and coming community financial lender based in Fort Mill, SC.