Saturday, May 18, 2013

Running in the Rain... Again

For those of you who are regular readers, you know that I am training for my first ever 1/2 marathon in Aug (13.1 miles).  These last two weeks, I have been dreading today like the plague.  I am talking SERIOUS anxiety.  On the schedule I follow, I was scheduled to run 8 miles today.  Last week I was supposed to run 7, but I had the 5 K, so I skipped it.  Now it was up to 8.  So much for working up to it, right?  The furthest I have ever run was a 10 K (6.2 miles) and I thought my legs were going to fall off.  So now all of a sudden I am up to 8... I was terrified!

I could just not do it.  Right?  Last night I thought about it.  Well, Ben is at drill... AND it was raining, chances were it would be raining tomorrow too.  Those were good excuses right?  BUT I already had a babysitting trade set up.  AND I had already told all my Facebook friends that I was going to go for it -- doing that, means COMMITMENT right?  Stuff gets serious when you announce it on Facebook...

Suck it up, Cat!

So this morning, the boys and I got up early and popped over to Walmart and I bought me a Running in the Rain outfit.  I could do this.  I KNEW I could do this.  So far, this body has gone above and beyond to prove that to me.  It was ONLY 8 miles right!?  That is still 5 miles short of the half that I am doing in Aug.  I needed to do this.

So off I went in the pouring rain.

I was surprised how clean the rain made the air!  My asthma was NO problem for the first time in a long time!  I was breathing nice, and pounding the pavement.  Before I knew it I had done 3 10 min miles right in a row!  By mile 5 I started to slow a bit, but I was determined to keep it up as long as I could.  Just after mile 5 I started to feel the blisters manifesting themselves on my left foot... and they escalated pretty quickly.  The rain was pouring down pretty hard as well, and the wind was hitting me face on.  It pretty much sucked. When I hit mile marker 6.5 I was dying.  I had to speed walk -- but I wouldn't let myself do it for longer than 2 minutes, that's my running rule.  After two minutes, and a quick prayer, I started running again.  Just as I hit mile 7, I didn't think I could go anymore.  Only one more mile, I told myself.  Cat, you can do this!!

Then I had a little miracle.

A song started playing that I had never heard before.  In fact, I have NO IDEA how it got on my workout play list. Ben must have put it there or something.

Just when I needed it the most, this song inspired me like no other running song has ever before and my legs started running a little faster... some kind of stored spiritual energy kicked in, and I was able to do what I thought I could't do!!  Before I knew it, my running app informed that I had just run 8 miles in 1 hour 40 min and 2 seconds.  (My goal had been 1:45:00).

I started crying as I slowed to cool down pace.  I never thought, not in a million years, that someone like me could get this far.  I have worked so hard, climbed over many obstacles, and beat the odds!  Then I felt warmth on my back, and the sun had peeked out on me -- it was only for a minute.  But it was a SIGN!  Someone (other than myself) was proud of me.
My dorky victory pose

And I am feeling pretty dang awesome!!  Totally worth all 10 blisters!

-Cat

No excuses people!  Sign up for my summer challenge NOW!  We currently have 10 sponsors signed up, that means PRIZES!!  No one has ever regretted doing the challenge, not ever.  The only regrets are from the ones who don't do it.  Click here for more information, and PLEASE share this post with your friends, you never know who is out there that just needs a goal, a little inspiration, and some motivation!

4 comments:

Janelle Vannice said...

How awesome! Congratulations to you! 8 miles is a big deal, so celebrate that!!! :)

I also agree about running in the rain. I always dread it, but it's never as bad as I'd pictured in my head, and it DOES clear up the asthma! I think it's because nothing is floating around in the air to make us wheeze... but either way, I enjoy that! :)

Janelle

Brittney said...

Way to go on 8 miles! I want to run a 10k in the fall, and I'm actually going out on my first training run tonight! Woohoo! You are a rockstar!

James Franklin said...

Free Social Media Marketing where Every thing will be Free, Facebook Likes, Twitter Followers, Twitter Tweets, Twitter Re-Tweets, Twitter Favorites, Google Plus Followers, StumbleUpon Followers, Youtube Views, Youtube Likes, Youtube Subsribes, Pinterest Followers, Pinterest Likes, Pinterest PinIt, Free Website Visitors.
Just Join now and Free Increase your Social Media Networks.
GetLikeFast.com

Terra said...

Just catching up on my blog reading....So excited for you!!! Love this song, its going on my workout playlist. One of my favorites is My Chemical Romance "Sing"...it always moves me through that, "I cannot do this!" moments.