Thursday, October 25, 2012

Halloween Homemade Costume Contest 2012

ATTENTION:  The "polling" feature to the right sidebar seems to be registering the votes again.  So go ahead and vote on the poll, but I am also taking votes in the comment section.  Please be honest and don't vote a million times -- I can tell when someone is being shifty.  Results will be posted tomorrow (Oct 31st), and I will take into account the comment votes and the poll votes and try to be as fair as possible!

I am really excited to host this contest again this year.  We have some FANTASTIC entries!  There is a voting bar on the right sidebar -- you can vote for more than 1 entry, but you can only vote 1 time.  Tell your friends and family members to come by and vote!!!  Winner will receive a $25 gift certificate to Target.  So without further ado, here are the contestants for 2012!

The Stapler
Submitted by Tatum
Our son loves to pretend he is a school teacher, so he is always asking for things that his teachers have – markers, hole punchers, erasers – but his favorite gadget is the stapler. When we asked what he wanted to be for Halloween, that was his first response! We found two long cardboard boxes, cut them up and fastened them together with nuts and bolts. We spray painted it red and covered the underneath section with aluminum foil. For the finishing touch, we painted the brand name on the side to make it authentic! This is a costume we will remember for a long time!

The Lego Man
Submitted by Daniel
Our four year old son loves Legos and can put together 480 piece Lego sets by himself. When we asked him what he wanted to be for Halloween, of course he said a Lego Man! We used two cardboard boxes for the body and head, spray painted it red and yellow, and glued disposable paper bowls on the front! We drew on the face and cut out the mouth for him to see!
The M&M Family
Submitted by Jessica
 Medusa
Submitted by Roxanne


I homemade my daughter Layla's costume and absolutely love how it turned out, so I just gotta show her off!! We went with Medusa cause you never see kids dress like her and its an amazing costume. I bought the toy snakes and cut them then tied on a headband. Wrapped her up in a light green sheet like a goddess and added some jewelry that would bring out the look. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do... 

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Tree
Submitted by Dina
My son has been obsessed with Chicka Chicka Boom Boom (among other books) lately. So I decided to make him a Chicka Chicka Boom Boom tree for Halloween. The hardest part was finding the overalls, seems they don't sell the old fashioned brown corduroy overalls anymore, had to get them on Ebay. Then I sewed on felt letters that I made with a die cut machine. The palm fronds are hot glued on the beenie. I think I had more fun making it than he will wearing it! Have a good day!
Captain Olivia 
Submitted by Abby

Captain Olivia and her Pirate pal, Scooby, have discovered the buried treasure! Olivia is a 9 year old, Chocolate Labrador Retriever. When not looting pirate ships for treats and toys, Olivia works hard as a Service Dog for her mom.  
Her costume was handmade with love by her mom and grandmaw. Olivia's costume is lightweight and non-constricting. She is able to walk and sit in it. Olivia really enjoyed the process of creating this costume. Each time we had to tailor it to fit her body she received a small treat. She has really "grown" to love it. We started with a cardboard box, poly-fiber fill, contact paper, children's clothes from the local Good Will Store, a Scooby Doo doll, and lots of embellishments from JoAnne Fabrics. The entire costume had to be altered to fit Olivia and her needs to be mobile. Scooby's arms were lengthened, clothes were cut and re-attached, and then altered again. It was an enjoyable and memorable experience my mom, Olivia and I will always have. We took it step by step and managed to not get stressed out. We just had fun creating what we feel is the funniest and cutest Halloween costume of 2012.

Captain America
Submitted by Kim


This is dillon. He is 3 years old. His older brother who is 10 is obsessed with the avengers. Dillon just adores his big bro and wants to be just like him. They pretend to be hulk and captain america (dillon) and run around the house fighting the bad guys and smashing everything in sight. Thankfully nothing has gotten broken yet haha. For Halloween all dillon could talk about was avengers so for a surprise i started working on a captain america costume for him. His face when he saw the finished project was priceless. the funniest part was him running around making fighting noises and his brother telling him not to spit while making the noises. He already had the blue pants and shoes. I purchased the gloves and the shied. I purchased the army helmet but i painted it to look like captain america. I made his jacket, the red and white stripes, the star, the red boots, the utility belt, and te mask. I did it all without a pattern.
I traced one of his jackets onto the blue fabric. I cut out strips of red and white fabric and sewed them all together. For the mask I put fabric on his face and with a white crayon made an x for where his eyes are. For the star i traced a star cookie cutter onto white fabric. his boots i took 2 red squares put them around his legs and pinned them. I sewed a diagonal line to make them tight around his calves but loose around his boots. His belt was the hardest. I cut strips of green and grey fabric and pieced them together to make the pouches. I used backpack strap material for the belt which i attached to a plastic belt clasp. I used more belt material to attach the pouches on.
The Hobbit
Submitted by Bobbi Jo
I had a lot of ideas (mostly sparked from pinterest) about what I could dress Will as this year. But when I ran across this one, I knew that it was THE ONE! I have always been a major Lord of the Rings fan, but Lance's dad is a way bigger fan than myself. So we wanted to dress Will as this because we know Lance's dad would absolutely love it, but also because the movie "The Hobbit" is coming out in December and we are all really excited.

The Angry Bird Family
Submitted by Hillary

This is our Angry Bird family. My daughter on the far right wanted to be an Angry Bird for Halloween. I asked her what she wanted her brothers to be so she chose their Angry Bird Costumes to. When she said she wanted Sawyer to be the big she went and got her red Angry Bird stuffed bird and started to throw it at him. I asked her why she was throwing it at him and she said because he is the pig. I set out to make these fun costumes. I found a pumpkin pattern and used it for the bodies. I really liked it because it Velcro's on the shoulders so it is convenient to put them on. I used fleece for the bodies and than made up a pattern for the beaks and the faces. The faces are done with felt. I hope they aren't worn out before Halloween because the kids have been playing Angry Birds in their costumes. Me and my husband are not in this pictures, but I had my brother make us Angry Bird shirts. With the picture of the red and blue Angry Bird and the Angry pig. My husbands shirt says ANGRY DAD and my shirt says ANGRY MOM. 

Well, there they are!!!  Happy voting!!

-Cat

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know how you'll ever decide who the winner is, they are all pretty awesome! The little hobbit seems to fit this little boy perfect, the dog costume is so creative and funny, the angry birds are better than professional... yeah, I don't know... Medusa is such an unusual person to dress up as, my girls say that she's their favorite. I'm impressed that the little boy wanted to be a stapler and same with the lego, but I bet they have a hard time sitting down. And in spite of the label on the M&M's I am going to go eat some real ones now. And after all said and done, I think I'll vote for Captain America. Now don't you wish your polling feature were working? :)

Olivia R said...

I emailed my choices

Cat said...

Some people have chosen to email me their votes:

1 vote for Capt. Olivia
1 vote for M & M Family
1 Vote for Angry Birds
1 Vote for Chicka Chicka

Anonymous said...

Angry Birds!

Anonymous said...

Angry birds!

Anonymous said...

Angry birds!

Anonymous said...

Angry birds!

Anonymous said...

Captain America!

Anonymous said...

Angry Birds!!!

Anonymous said...

Angry birds! plus I saw the t-shirts. they were super fun with the kids as the birds. way to.go!

Katie said...

Angry Birds all the way!

Aimee & Brennen Fuller said...

angry birds!

Anonymous said...

Angry Birds

Anonymous said...

Captain Olivia

Anonymous said...

Angry birds by Hillary!!!!

Anonymous said...

I vote for the Angry Bird family. Soo cute!

Anonymous said...

I VOTE FOR ANGRY BIRDS!!!(:

Ariana said...

They are all so cute and well done! I'm kind of torn between Captain Olivia and the Hobbit.

Jensen Family said...

Angry birds

Anonymous said...

I vote for Captain America!!!!

Anonymous said...

captain america is awesome. vote for captain america

Cat said...

Votes via email:

2 votes for Medusa

Cat said...

Another vote via email for Medusa!

Cat said...

Another vote via email for Medusa!

Cat said...

3 more votes via email for Medusa

Cat said...

2 more votes via email for Medusa

Anonymous said...

Definitely Angry Birds!! :)

Anonymous said...

Angry Birds!!!

London'sBridge said...

Angry birds!! So adorable, and so well made!

Anonymous said...

I vote for captain America

Anonymous said...

Captain America

Anonymous said...

I think captain America is super cute

Amicha1451 said...

Captain America gets my vote. So adorable!

Yxl Ian said...

wow,it looks so cute,good job,I also like captain america costume.