Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Guest Post: 5 Fall Foods I Can't Live Without!!

By Annie Hall

I am grateful that Cat allowed me to guest post about a topic as extremely important as this one. So with out further ado, five fall foods I can't live without*:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chicken Pot Pie
I love chicken pot pie so much that when I was a little girl, I had the Marie Calendar's microwave pot pies for breakfast. Don't worry, I now consume chicken pot pie at the appropriate meal time and have THE BEST recipe (right here). I'm a pot pie lover for life!

Ham and Cheese Soup
I looooove soup! If I could, I would eat soup every day of the week, and my very favorite soup is my mom's ham and cheese soup.

Annie's Mom's Ham and Cheese Soup

4 medium potatoes
1 cup celery
1 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup diced onion
3 cups water
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
4 cups milk
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups cubed ham

Cook potatoes, celery, and carrots in 3 cups water in a pan. In another pan, add butter and flour at a low temperature. Add milk, salt and pepper. Stir constantly over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Let it boil for 1 minute. Stir in cheese until it melts. Then, add vegetables and ham. Heat, but do not boil. Serve immediately.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
I am not a pumpkin pie fan (it's a texture thing) but I love pumpkin rolls, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin seeds, and All Recipe's Downeast Main Pumpkin Bread! (It's my very very favorite, and don't forget the chocolate chips!!!)

Chili and Cornbread
I can definitely live without chili. Does anyone actually ever crave chili? I don't and I don't know of anyone that does. My husband's theory is that chili cookoffs were solely created to find a crave-able chili recipe that is actually worth making more than once, which to this day has not been found. (If you have an amazing chili recipe PLEASE send it my way!) At our house, chili is just an excuse to eat cornbread! (And sometimes we just skip the chili and have cornbread for breakfast!) All Recipe's Grandmother's Buttermilk Cornbread is almost as easy to make as a cornbread mix PLUS it tastes a million times better! (We never have buttermilk in our house so we substitue it for 1 cup milk + 1 Tbsp of lemon juice)

Hot Chocolate 
No fancy recipe here! I will even settle for Swiss Miss Diet Hot Cocoa so I can justify having another piece of pumpkin chocolate chip bread! But when I'm feeling extra indulgent, 7-eleven's hot chocolate with their pumpkin pie creamer is really the only way to go. (Unless you like peppermint ice cream in your hot chocolate, but let's not get into my "5 christmas desserts I can't live without" just yet...)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are your favorite fall foods you can't live without? (Don't say candy corn! Gross!)

Do you have an amazing chicken pot pie, soup, pumpkin bread, cornbread, or hot chocolate recipe? Share it please!



* If you eat these foods all season long (like I do!), you will definitely need to join Cat's Fat Butt fitness challenges to burn off all of the deliciously amazing calories you consume!

You can read more by Annie at her blog here!!

2 comments:

K. Garcia said...

My fall favorites would have to include sweet potato anything (baked, casserole, fries) and apple anything (pie, dumplings, covered in caramel). Yum!

Ariana said...

Corn bread is definitely good. I like any fall food, really.