Saturday, July 14, 2012

The Phone Call

It has been four whole weeks since I heard the sound of my husband's voice.  Some might think, oh good grief, I have gone SO MUCH longer.  Well, I haven't.  I think the longest I went before was 3 weeks while Ben was in Basic Training.  These 4 weeks, were SUPER LONG! I did, however, get a letter from him on Monday that made my week go by a little better.

He is doing well.  Having some great adventures.  Making new friends.  And, apparently, having many opportunities to "educate" some of the other soldiers about Mormonism -- he says that the questions just keep coming... the other guys are totally fascinated.  Which is fine with him... I think he enjoys being the "different" guy.

From his letter, I could tell he was having the time of his life... but also, missing us really bad.

I wrote him a few more letters, (I never missed a day!), and then sent the last one on Thursday.  Since he graduates from this program on Tuesday, I wanted to make sure he got ALL my letters before he flew out to his other training after.  So this whole Asthma episode... yeah, it didn't make the letters.

Then last night, as I was showing Nephi how to clean poop out of his underwear (long story that I am sure you could live without knowing the details of), I heard my phone ring....

When I saw Ben's face on the caller ID, my heart did a flip flop and I couldn't answer it fast enough!!  First off, I heard they weren't getting their phones back until Sunday night.  So it was only the best surprise ever!! You would think after almost 8 years of marriage and 3 kids, we wouldn't still act like honeymooners at times like these... but we do!  Reminds me that the romance is still there and going strong!  That's one of the things I love about the military life.  The long separations are hard, and can make or break a marriage.  It made ours, and every time he leaves it's hard, but when he comes back it's like living a fairy tale romance over and over again.

The phone call was great!  He told me all the stuff they had done, how he was rated and that he passed every test with flying colors.  He told me about his new friends and some of the instructors.  He is sick of MRE's and can't wait for my cooking again.  I told him about my asthma, and he was really happy that I am going to improve now.  I filled him in on the adventures of the Tweedles and Peanut.  It was the best 30 minutes in a long time.  AND he is going to call again tonight.

Well, only 3 more weeks to go and the hardest part is over!  Woo Hoo!

-Cat

I sent these pictures to Ben this week, he hadn't gotten them yet as of last night... but I am showing off my 12 pounds off since he left (as of this morning it is 15!! Oh, yeah!):  But I am not going to send him a full body shot, he's just going to have to wait until he sees me in person :)

Yeah, I am a goof... but that's why he loves me!

3 comments:

Allison said...

That's great! I'm glad you got to talk to him. We are like honeymooners too when D is gone at any sort of training (even his 3 day drills). It's more fun that way!

trooppetrie said...

that's awesome. I have lost 58 pounds since Rob deployed. I am not telling him. I want to surprise him when he comes home this fall. It is so hard to keep a secret from him for this long

Ariana said...

Really cute pictures, Cat! I'm so glad you got to talk to Ben finally.