Monday, February 13, 2012

Just Ask a Mormon

Missionary Me!
I have been writing this blog for about 3 years now (wow, has it really been that long?), and most of my long time readers are well aware of my religious beliefs.  Some of you newer peeps, might not.  I am a Mormon.  I know I don't talk about it a lot.  It isn't because I am ashamed, because I am not.  I guess the reason I don't talk about it much is because my religion is something that comes so natural to me, that I don't have to talk about it, I just AM.  Everything I do and say is all part of what I believe.  I don't have to cram religious doctrine down people's throats for them to understand who I am and what I stand for.

So who am I?

I am opinionated.   I seek truth and reason.  Things have to make sense to me, and if they don't I put them aside and search for the truth.  I don't believe things simply because someone tells me to.  I want to be happy.  I want my family to live great lives and have no regrets for the choices we make.  I want to be free to live my life the way I feel is right.  I am a mother and a wife, and I love my country.  How different are those goals from anyone else's?

Well, recently the LDS faith (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, aka Mormons) has been under a very powerful microscope because of the political stuff going on with the elections this year.  The topic of Mormons and their beliefs have been talked about on all the major news networks, radio, TV shows, social media and everywhere else.  People are all talking about those Mormons.

And most of the time they get it so wrong I don't know if I should be laughing or crying!  I can't believe how misunderstood our faith is.  What really surprises me is that instead of asking a Mormon what they believe in, they ask people who don't know the difference between Captain Moroni and the angel Moroni (all the more reason to ask a real Mormon, if you're curious).  Every time I see some "panel" of people come on the news and start talking Mormons, I feel like pulling out a buzzer....

"Well, Mormons believe this..." BEEP!

"Most Mormons think..." BEEP BEEP!

"ALL Mormons want...." BEEP BEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!

It always makes me laugh when they try to portray Mormon's in television shows.  I just sit there and laugh about it, because there is no way a real Mormon would act the way they make them.  Simply because the writers don't understand us because they don't understand our doctrine.

And I have to mention the Mormon "Myths".... these really crack me up!  I still don't understand the whole "green jello" thing, I have NEVER seen green jello make an appearance at a church function.  And I have never seen a Mormon with horns!  And seriously, could you see me participating in anything like a "cult"?  Come on.... I am such a free spirited person, no one can tell me what to do.  I make my choices because I feel inside they are right.  And recently, one of my friends told me that one of her old roommates thought that Mormons worshiped aliens... are you serious?

Wedding Day at the St. George Temple
These last few years I have been keeping an eye on my followers and noting who comments and reads my blog.  I have discovered that the vast majority of my readers are not of my same faith.  Now, if I was a crazy Mormon person, I am sure I wouldn't have that sort of readership.  And I am also certain, that many of those readers are more than a bit curious about my beliefs.  Heck, I am curious about theirs!  I ask my friends of other faiths all the time what they think about such and such.  Once in a while I will get an email asking me a question or two.  People really want to know, but they are afraid to ask.  There seems to be this general idea that Mormons can be scary about their beliefs sometimes.  That maybe we get offended by certain questions or become obsessed with converting anyone who just has a question or two.  Simply not true.

So I want to open my door to all my friends out there, and let them know that they are more than welcome to shoot some questions my way.  I will answer them in other posts the best to my knowledge and there are no strings attached... meaning I am not going to start stalking you and sending missionaries to your house.  You know I am honest and will even add my humor to the answers.  I will also invite my other Mormon friends to join in and contribute.

Please feel free to email your questions to: nutsinanutshell(at)gmail(dot)com

Also, one of my old mission companions was quoted on a news website this week, she did an amazing job of summing up what a Mormon is:  Click here to check it out.

-Cat

PS-  Something that is kind of funny, is my follower numbers go down every time I mention my faith.... I am curious to watch it today :)

6 comments:

Jenn said...

thank you for writing this. i love your blog and read it often. while i am not Mormon. i do have a book of Mormon i read privately. i have been to worship once with a friend. and have many missionaries come in to my life at times in my life when i really needed help and support. i believe in your church. keep sharing your faith, it may be that small still voice of the lord :)

Kritta22 said...

My favorite Mormon myth is that we worship seagulls. Or hide gold in our temples in the basements.

Or that we don't have belly buttons!

Thanks for sharing!

Where'd you serve your mission?

Leenie said...

This is one of the traits that has attracted me to your blog: you're a military wife. And you're mormon. I, too, am mormon and fairly new living this military life, so I feel like I already have a connection with you even though we have not met. :) Keep sharing away!

Kelly Dawn said...

i had a couple friends in high school who are mormon - best part of being mormon when you are young and dont know any betteR? hehehe - the DANCES - heck yeah- i am southern baptist - and we sure as heck didnt get a DANCE put on for us??? what the heck - the first time i asked my parents if i could go? they were SURE i was lying...lol...i mean really - what church puts on a dance and encourages their teens to act sinful??? LMAO....they were definitely a highlight to my teen years...shout it proud mama - no hatin' here - pssttt baptist "myth" for ya - most baptists drink on saturday night - HA fooled ya - its not a myth...lol..we were SO at the liquor store on saturday night buynig the fixins for ritas and bellinis :-)

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

This is a great post! HAHA, loved it! I think the whole green jello thing was a thing of our parent's generation because I do sort of recall green jello with carrots and raisins. And my husband worked at the temple cafeteria and they always made jello with crazy stuff in it for the old people. Really funny.

Heidi said...

You are awesome, love the post. You always do such a great job. By the way, the whole jello thing was because in our grandparents day and age the jello wasn't sweet, it was a side dish. So they added the fruit and veggies to it for sweetness and more flavor. :) It wasn't until later that they added the sugar to it and made it a dessert. :) I've also heard of it having mayonaise frosting and trout in it. Yuck!! On his mission my husband met someone that said he saw it at a funeral here in Utah and it was the guys favorite. I'm sure there are more crazy ways it was served. :)