Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Do you Make a Difference?

One of my dear readers commented on my post yesterday suggesting that she didn't have any talent... and it near broke my heart!

When we think of having talent what is the first the thing that springs into our minds?  I think of crafty people, artists, musicians, the winners of America's Got Talent and American Idol, to name a few.  I heard a survey on the radio the other day that said that people who spend the most time on social media sites like Facebook are also the most depressed because they see what other people are doing and feel that they just don't measure up or their lives aren't as "perfect" as other's seem.  I could relate a little to that... being in my early 30's and still living in a student apartment can feel pretty pathetic when I see my friends on FB posting pictures of their cute homes and decorating ideas.

But you know what?  Talent and happiness comes in all shapes and forms!  And it has EVERYTHING to do with taking chances and having a good attitude about it!  We aren't going to be good at everything we try.  We will crash and burn... but hey, it makes for a good blog post right?  Best just pick ourselves up, dust off our buns, and try again or move on to something else.

Talent doesn't have to come in the form of craftiness or artistic talent.  Did you ever stop to think that having gratitude and a positive outlook in life is a real talent?  Have you ever been around someone that just makes you feel good about yourself?  That's a talent!  Has someone just KNOWN when to call you just when you needed a friend the most?  That's a talent!  Being a good friend, keeping secrets, caring for others, and just being a good listener... yes, those are talents too!  The ability to be happy for other's and their successes -- yep, a talent.  Standing up for what you believe in, staying strong, yet humble -- a talent.

Being a good wife.  Being a good mother.  Talents!  Are you someone that everyone comes to for advice because they trust and value your opinion?  Is your smile contagious?  How about your laugh?  Do you love to give service without asking or wanting anything in return?  Do you feel joy in giving?  Are you good with the elderly or have a way with children?  All talents!

We all have talents that we are born with.  Some we know of, and some are still undiscovered!  Here are a few examples:

My mom is an amazing teacher.  She can captivate an audience for long periods of time by telling stories and teaching a principle.  She is also a fantastic hairdresser!  For 30 years she made other's feel good about themselves and gave them confidence.  It's amazing what a new hairdo can do for a woman's self-esteem! People actually cried when she retired!  And she has an amazing love for animals as well.

My sister used to complain she had no talent... sometimes she still does.  But she is the cutest mom with her kids and a devoted and loving wife.  After me pestering her, she also took up crocheting and the talent must run in the family because she picked it up super fast and is now selling some!  Growing up my little sister was a horrid cook, sorry to say.  Her menu consisted of Mac and Cheese and frozen pizzas.  Since she got married, however, she took it upon herself to learn and now she is an AMAZING cook!  Best of all, my baby sis, is a fantastic sister.  She always listens to me when I need a friend.  She never judges me and she rejoices in my successes.  She also has the BEST reactions to my stories!  I LOVE THAT!

Most of you know that my oldest, Sam, was non-verbal until he was 4 years old.  When he was three I was so lost about what to do that I didn't know who to go to.  Finally we found his pre-school for kids with special needs.  His teacher was amazing!  She taught my child how to write his name, know his ABC's, shapes... she even taught him how to eat with a spoon and put his pants on.  She helped me potty train him.  My little Sam would have been lost without her!!  She knew how to touch him in ways that I would never have known how.  Once she ordered a few hats from me, and when I brought them to her she told me that she felt she didn't have talent.  I just about started crying!  I wanted to fall and kiss her feet and tell her all the amazing things she did with my son!!  Did she have no idea the difference that she made to me?  She has one of the most amazing talents ever!  To teach and touch special needs children.  WOW, what a talent!

We all have talents.  But it is our responsibility to seek them out, develop them, and use them for good.  We can make a difference in our corners in the world.  Don't be afraid.  Have faith.  Take chances.  And go for it!

-Cat

What are your talents?  How do you strive to make a difference in your own lives and the lives of others?


4 comments:

*Katie* said...

I loved this, it was a brilliant post. Keep up the wonderful work you do!

E said...

Great, positive, post!

Morhia said...

Cat~ You inspire me and I love reading your posts. One catered just because of a comment from and earlier post, wow? You truly care and I think that is why I LOVE reading your posts. I even talke with my husband of you the other day as I sometimes do. He commented how I talk of you as if I know you. I hae grown to know you, your soldier and the rest of the Nuts! I have followed your blog since I found it. My soldier has not left yet but does soon. I hope to continue to be inspired by you. I was amazed reading this post. Talent is there for all of us but sometimes we lose the bigger picture and it helped reading about where I should be looking. I use to handle the toddler room atservices on Sunday and would pray with the kids at snack time and LOVED it. To see the kids faces light up was my payment but parents would tell me their kids loved coming when I was there. I think I may sign up again. Thank You for inspiring me!

Morhia said...

Cat~ You inspire me and I love reading your posts. One catered just because of a comment from and earlier post, wow? You truly care and I think that is why I LOVE reading your posts. I even talke with my husband of you the other day as I sometimes do. He commented how I talk of you as if I know you. I hae grown to know you, your soldier and the rest of the Nuts! I have followed your blog since I found it. My soldier has not left yet but does soon. I hope to continue to be inspired by you. I was amazed reading this post. Talent is there for all of us but sometimes we lose the bigger picture and it helped reading about where I should be looking. I use to handle the toddler room atservices on Sunday and would pray with the kids at snack time and LOVED it. To see the kids faces light up was my payment but parents would tell me their kids loved coming when I was there. I think I may sign up again. Thank You for inspiring me!