Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Been There, Done That... Didn't like it!

You all know I am one of those people that likes to try out new things (within certain limits, of course and it can't have anything to do with heights!).  For the last few months I have been wanting to teach myself how to knit.  I have had countless people tell me "If you enjoy crocheting, you will LOVE knitting!"  Totally implying that knitting is far superior to crocheting in many ways.  Like you haven't done anything, until you knit.

At the library there are shelves and shelves of knitting books and patterns, and only like 4 books on crocheting.  Knitting must be the thing to do, I guess.

Finally the hats sales have calmed down, and I decided that this would be a good time to learn knitting.  Who knows, maybe I will love it even more than crocheting like many friends seems to think I will.

I popped over to Walmart and bought this little getting started kit:

I was excited to get home and try it out -- but I had to wait until the boys were in bed, there was no way I could concentrate while they were on the loose.

Finally, when I had a minute, I got to work.  After about an hour, I had learned to knit, perl,  increase and decrease, and I had this:
Then I decided that I wanted to learn the twisty things.  An hour later I had this:
Okay.... I got that down.

Why wasn't I feeling joy at my accomplishment?  Was I too tired to do the happy dance, or did was I just not in the mood?  I sat there for a few minutes and thought about this... and I decided that I just didn't enjoy knitting.  It was slow, I felt limited, and I didn't much care for knit look.  To me it lacked the character that my crocheting stuff had.

Call me bias, but I gave it an effort right?  Maybe I am just missing something?  So I printed out a headband pattern and started working through it... 4 hours later and I was only half done.  I could have done 6 or so crochet ones in that time that were cuter!  I felt my night had been wasted!

Conclusion:  I am not patient enough for knitting.  It's too slow, not as fun, and I don't take any pleasure in my results.  I guess I am just a crochet kind of girl.  However, I do like the knitted hot-pads, so I might crank a few of those out when I have like 5 hours to myself... which rarely if ever happens.

I think knitting and crocheting are very personal things.  I can imagine there are millions out there who love knitting... I am just not one of them.  At least I know now.

Which do you like?

-Cat

8 comments:

Heidi said...

I'm the same. I love how fast crocheting is. Plus I just never felt as comfortable knitting as I do crocheting.

Carrie and Karl said...

I'm one of those knitting people. I can knit TONS faster than I can crochet and I can do it in the dark, which I can't do with crochet.
I do crochet on the edges of receiving blankets, but that's about it. I think it's like you said, a very personal thing. Isn't it great that people can like different things and it's ok?

New Mommy Confessions said...

I can knit...kind of. You're right in that it is very time consuming. I like it personally, but I would love to learn how to crochet. I bought a kit to teach me how but...it didn't go so well. lol

Morhia said...

I am happy that you are talented but for me I am not.

Cat said...

Not true, Morhia! Everyone has their different talents, that's what makes the world so great! (And if you honestly can't think of something, then maybe you just have a hidden one you haven't discovered yet!)

Ariana said...

I like crocheting a lot better than knitting, too. I've talked to a few people about it, and it seems like people prefer whichever they learned first, whether it was knitting or crocheting.

Ariana said...

I definitely prefer crocheting.

Nina said...

I have hardly any clue about crocheting but I knit sweaters and whatnot over a couple of weekends. I find knitting a lot faster than crocheting, even if making cables etc.