Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Soundtrack of our Travels

The only thing worse than summer road trips with kids, is winter road trips with kids.

The trip that only took 4 hours in the summer, just jumped to 10 hours when you add snow and ice.  And with every added hour, the grumpiness multiplies.  The "are we there YET!"s get louder, more often, and so much more annoying. And the soundtrack of the adventure adds to the stress (and a little bit of humor, after the fact):

Nephi: MOM!  Sam's kicking my seat!
Sam: No I'm not!
He's making a list...
Me: Sam stop kicking Nephi's seat!
He's checking it twice...
Nephi: Stop it Sam!!!
Me:  Sam KNOCK IT OFF!  Do I need to come back there!
He's going find out whose naughty or nice!
Sam: no.
Santa Claus is coming to town!


Jake starts getting fussy.
Sam: Mom, Jake is being too loud.  I'm tired and want to sleep!!
Silent night...
Me: Then just ignore him and close your eyes.
Holy night.  All is calm...
Sam: BUT MOM!!  He is being SOOOOO loud!!!
All is bright.
Dad:  He's a baby!  Babies fuss, deal with it!
Sleep, in heavenly peace...


Sam: Mom, can I open my window?  I want to open my window.
Oh, the weather outside is frightful!
Me: Not a chance!  It's freezing outside, you will get too cold.
Sam: but I want to wave at the cars.
Me:  I don't care what you want to do, we aren't opening a window.  And it's snowing... we don't want snow coming in the window.
Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!

Nephi:  Mom!!!  I need to go potty!!!  Hurry, it's super strong!!!
Chestnuts roasting on an open fire....
Me:  Ben, hurry pull over, Nephi has to go NOW!

Me:  Hey, guys, LOOK at the train!  Hurry LOOK it's right there!!
Train speeds by quickly as Rudolf is persecuted by his peers.
Sam:  Where!? WHERE!?
Nephi:  I saw it!!
Sam:  Where!?
Me:  you missed it, it's gone.
Sam: Turn around!!!
Me: No you missed it, too bad.  Next time you will look.
Sam:  But I want to see the train!!
Nephi:  YOU MISSED IT!  TOO BAD!
At this point there is much weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth.  Meanwhile, Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer is going down in history.

I thought about turning the radio off... but what would the Christmas Drive be without the carols playing in the background as my kids and I verbally spar back and forth nearly forcing my dear husband to stick his head out the window, chance the cold, and re-enact the frozen snot scene some of us are still haunted by from Dumb and Dumber.

Luckily, this year, he wasn't forced to takes such drastic measures.

We made it home safe tonight from our adventure, and take a deep breath and know we won't have to head out for another long road trip until our annual summer trip down south.  And even that isn't as bad as the winter one.

I bet your road trips are so much better?!

-Cat

Oh, and we just celebrated our 7th anniversary this weekend.  Yeah us!
THEN:
NOW:

No comments: