Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Just Like in the Movies

Have you ever had one of those moments in life, when you feel like you're living a scene in a movie?  Most of the time, we never think stuff like that happens in real life, to real people... then it happens to you!  I'm not talking about the big stuff like winning a million dollars or anything like that.  Just some little things, that happen once in a while.

Today, I had one of those moments.

After living through a few HUGE disappointments this last month, I have told myself that I needed to be more friendly, out going and positive.  So I stepped up to the plate and decided to do a few new things like teaching a crochet class here for the college housing extension program. I am totally stepping out of the box on this because I have felt that with only less than a year experience, I felt I wasn't "qualified" to teach it... but they wanted me anyway, so I thought "what the heck!"

Another goal I made for myself to be more friendly to the people I met when I go out and about.  Today, I went to send off a couple hat orders, and I had Jake wearing his "Big Blue" hat when we walked into the post office.  Since I am just about the worst sales person on the planet, I use my baby to help me be brave and give out my business card.  It isn't hard, all he has to do is look adorable in his hats and they seem to sell themselves.  I pass out cards everywhere I go!

So there I was at the post office chatting up all the customers and post office workers... all just happened to be crocheters and all wanted the pattern... which I don't have up, but it will be coming soon!

I left the post office feeling good about things... a feeling I carried over to Walmart.

Now, all of you know, only because I have been talking about it all week, that the military ball is this weekend. What you don't know is that I have been totally stressing about my hair.  I had no idea what I was going to do! I have been looking at pictures, going to all the hair stores, and looking really hard at all the different ideas trying to find something that is completely ME.  Walmart was my last option and that being said, my hopes weren't particularly high.  So there I am in the Walmart hair product aisle.  It was so packed that little guy and me were sandwiched between the shampoo pickers and the hair color searchers.  And I found myself pleasantly surprised to find a few things that I actually liked.

But I couldn't decide....

So what did this crazy mama do?  I opened it up for discussion...

"I am going to the Military Ball this weekend and I need some advice on how to do my hair!"  I announced to about 10 different shoppers hanging around in the aisle.

Silence.

Then...

As if they all came to the same conclusion:  1. That I wasn't a raving lunatic, that I really did want some advice, and 2.  That we were talking "formal" and "dress-ups" and HAIR... everyone started to get excited.  I suddenly felt like I was in a movie as all the women (all of us strangers) started picking out stuff and giving me ideas and tips and holding up bows and stuff to my hair to see how it would look.  It was HILARIOUS! And totally something out of the movies!  It was like Facebook in real life, everyone giving their tips.  All of us over 30 and feeling like teenagers going to the prom again.

As little guy and I rolled out of the aisle with our planned purchase in the cart, thanks to our new friends, we waved goodbye as they flung out callings of "good luck!"s and "have fun!"s.

It was a good day in our world.

-Cat

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

I love this! The older I get, the more comfortable I am with speaking to total strangers; if I'm this bad before I'm even thirty, I can only imagine how I'll be as an old woman!f

Lois De Ette Sparks said...

that was so fun! I probably won't have that same courage. Have fun at the ball. :) Oh, and I love your hats!

Allison said...

You are WAY braver than I am. Have fun this weekend!

Morhia said...

I am so excited for you. For some reason I can picture this happening in Walmart. They will probably be telling people they know too! P.S. A famous photograher here in Montana buys your hats and uses them on the babies she photographs. I recognized them here and toldher about it. She sends a BIG thank you!