Saturday, October 29, 2011

Sam vs. the Pinata

I have been neglecting my blog lately.  Only because I feel I have been running around like a headless chicken all week.  Halloween is always such a busy time for us, and it seems like it gets busier every year and even more so now with a baby and hat business.  I got 20 hat orders these last couple days.  No joke, I have never been this busy in my life!  One of the orders came from the bookstore.... here is my progress pile:

And that's just half of my list of hats to get done the next couple weeks.  Don't get me wrong, I am so grateful for the work!  We really can use the money!  ESPECIALLY with Christmas just around the corner.  But I have my thumbs in other pies too.  My friend and I are starting a crochet blog, which will have it's official kick off next week with a hat giveaway!  And I really want to spend more time on it setting it up.  I also want to get to work on writing my patterns down to sell.  There just isn't enough time in the day!!

So that's my excuse...

But on another note...

Halloween parties.

I don't think I have EVER been to so many parties so close together before.  And the candy.... not even Halloween yet and I can't even stand to look at anther piece!

The other day, Sam's school had a little Halloween thing going on at the school, so we thought it would be fun to take the boys.  But when I saw the unstable looking pumpkin pinata, I started to feel a little uneasy... Sam has a reputation when it comes to bats and hitting paper machete. He gets vicious and greedy and all the kids better watch out because when that candy comes flying out, so does Sam!

The pumpkin looked a little like this one:
It was FULL of candy... super heavy.  Now think about it, do you think that little paper machete pumpkin stem could hold up five pounds of candy in the air... I don't think so.  And it didn't.  Busted right off!  Ben had to help them poke holes on the sides of the pumpkin to string the rope though.  When it lifted off the ground the bottom sagged with the weight.

I looked at the line of 20 or more kids to take a swing at the big guy... and made a silent bet to myself that it wouldn't last past the 5th kid at the most.

They did a test with a little kid and blind folded him.  He stumbled about and took a few pathetic swings at the swinging pumpkin.  Hit it once without much force behind the blow.  There was going to be a big kid next, when someone in charge had a brilliant idea to let the little kids (3 and under) try first non-blind folded before the big kids opened their can of whoop.

Then I noticed Sam getting shoved to the front.  Now, I have mentioned it before, but I will mention it again: Sam is the shortest by a head in his class.  He is barely in the first percentile for height at his age... and with his limited vocal skills he is easily mistaken for being Nephi's age of 4.  But never mistaken as a 3 year old!  Before I could get up and stop them, Sam was suddenly at the front of the line wielding the bat with an evil glint in his eye.  I felt like I was in slow motion as I stood up to yell "STOOOOOPPPPPP!!!!" When Sam ran up to the pinata, swinging like a mad man, and busted the thing right in half sending candy flying everywhere!

The kids went mad.  It was ciaos.  And I buried my head in shame... None of the other kids had gotten a turn.  But no one else seemed to mind much, least of all my boys who scored big bags of goodies.

Oh, well.  What can you do.

Maybe next time the pinata will win... Sam will so NOT see that one coming!

-Cat


2 comments:

Suzanne @ All Because Two People Fell in Love said...

It seems life is hectic for a lot of us lately. I know it's about to get even more hectic with school getting ready to start and me picking up a volunteer position! It's all worth it though, good luck in your hat business. They are beautiful!

Heidi said...

Hahaha that's so funny!! Sam and the silly excuse for a pinata that stores sell! Ok so if you want to learn how to make a real pinata just let me know. I learned from my mom and I can make a pinata that adults have a hard time breaking. :) It makes it more fun since the little kids have plenty of turns and the adults too. :)

Good luck getting all the hats done! Can't wait for the big kickoff!! :)