So what is a girl to do?
My answer? Find new friends!
Normally, I make friends pretty easy. I am a fairly easy going, friendly person... but I think my happy-go-lucky attitude (that is totally real, by the way) puts people on their guard because they think I am being fake. Not true. I really am a happy person, most of the time. I have been having a hard time connecting with people who live around me and other Army or ROTC wives. I can't figure it out... do I have bad breath or something? Maybe I have beady eyes that look untrustworthy.... Or it could be one of the following things:
1. My age. I am at least 5 years older than most of the women around, I think, and most of the time more. Age can be a huge turn off for some people. Something I don't understand because I get along with people of all ages!
2. I have 3 kids. For college kids that can be a bit overwhelming. I overheard one single college girl say to her friend that married people only want to be single people's friend when they are looking for a babysitter... I thought that was a little judgmental, but I can also see in many cases how it could be true. I don't ask people to sit for me anymore, I get turned down so often that now... well, it's just embarrassing.
3. I'm fat. I don't mean to pull the fat card, but people can be really shallow when it comes to hanging around other people that are slightly overweight to say the least. Sad, but true. SO been there.
4. I have an opinion on everything. I can't help it! My parents taught me to think for myself and make my own conclusions. I also have tact, though, and there are certain topics I never touch with friends: politics, religion, and Twilight. Unless they bring it up first and I know they feel the same way, I just zip my lips. But what people don't understand, is that it is okay to disagree with me, I don't take it personally, we all have different views. Once I asked my husband why people were afraid of me and my opinions and didn't like to disagree. He told me that I tend to say things not like they are my opinion but that they are fact and if you disagree then you are an idiot. Well, then... I have no intention of making people feel that way at all! Maybe I should have been a lawyer....
5. I am a small town girl. Small town people are used to everyone knowing their business so we really don't mind sharing whatever with people... some people think that's weird and it turns them off. I ALWAYS know within 5 minutes of talking to someone if they are from a small town. Small town folk like to share things... that's just how we are! It's funny when I get on Facebook, all my small town friends have long status updates and are frequent, my city friends are always short and sweet and to the point and they never give more details than are necessary.
6. I am a goof. I normally have a really dry sense of humor, but no one could tell when I was joking and they always thought I was serious. So I trained myself to laugh at all my jokes so people would know when I was being funny. I think it can get annoying, because I hardly ever take stuff too seriously...
So that I have analyzed some of the reasons I have been
Who knows what great adventures every potential friendship brings? Life is no fun without friends to take along for the ride! Right now, though, I feel like I am riding the coaster solo... and it's not too fun... roller coasters can't reach their maximum speed potential with only one rider -- they need the weight to get the momentum.
So for the rest of the year, I am on a crusade to make new great friends... Fingers crossed, wish me luck!