Friday, October 7, 2011

Homemade S'More Granola Bars

It's that time of the year when we can finally feel comfortable turning on the oven and baking something yummy without heating up the house!  With all the rain, and for some of you snow, home cooked goodies just sound so good.  I have been in the stew mood, but the other day I made a batch of homemade granola bars for Ben to take with him on his Ranger Challenge trip this weekend to Colorado.  He told me to make a lot so he could share with his buddies, so I made two batching thinking that it would be too much.

Apparently, I didn't make enough... the granola bars barely made it out of the state.

Every year, I like to share a recipe or two with my readers.  This year, here is my homemade s'more granola bars, altered from a recipe from my sister, Amy.

Cat's Homemade S'more Granola Bars

2 cups old fashioned oats (not the quick ones)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup little marshmallows
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2-2 cups honey (Add until it's a gooey sticky mixture)
1 egg
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously grease or spray a 9x13 inch baking pan or cookie sheet.
  • In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, chocolate chips, marshmallows and salt. Add the honey, egg, oil and vanilla. Mix well-- you can use your hands if you want. 
  • Lastly, pour mixture into pan or sheet and pat the mixture evenly.
  • Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Make sure to watch it, because you don't want to over-cook it or the marshmallows will cool too hard -- that's the trick!  Cool for a few minutes, then cut into bars while still warm -- I like to use a pizza cutter or medal spatula. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, or they will be too hard to cut and you'll be sorry :)

Optional:  this recipe can be really versatile.  You can substitute the chocolate chips and marshmallows for nuts, raisins, apple chunks, rice crispy treats, etc.  But I am warning you, if you substitute the oil for applesauce the bars will be cake-like instead of a granola bar.

I don't have any pictures right now, but I will add some to the post next time I made them!

This recipe is so easy and fun! Hope you enjoy it!

(To see my other recipes, click here.)


Photobucket

1 comment:

trooppetrie said...

oh this does sound easy and fun