Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Best College Course A Future Mom can Take

Of all the college courses I took, I have to say the one that has benefited me the most as a mom, was Costuming.  It was one of the best classes I ever took!  Not only did they teach us how to sew, but we learned how to alter clothes, alter patterns, make our own patterns, and how to change regular thrift clothes into some fun costumes.  At the time, I thought it was just a bunch of fun and I used my skills to alter prom dresses and add sleeves and such for my little sister.  Then I didn't think much of it until I had kids.  Now I use these skills I learned a couple times a year.

Every year, except last year, I have made the kids costumes.  Many of you may remember my costume contests the last couple years, and I will be holding it again this year (details to come).  So this year, I decided that I wanted to make the costumes again.  My plan was to have the boys be Thing 1 and Thing 2.  I thought it would be hilarious!  But, unfortunately, over the last year, my boys have finally gained an opinion about Halloween.  This year, they knew what they wanted to be and it was NOT Thing 1 & 2, much to my dismay.

They, like most kids their age, wanted to be Super Heroes.  Not just any super heroes either, Nephi wanted to be Iron Man and Sam was going for Captain America.  How the heck was I going to make these costumes!  Maybe, I thought, I would give in and just buy them.  But the more I looked on line, the more I was unimpressed with the cheaply made costumes for such expensive prices!!  So I looked for patterns... I could find NO Iron Man or Captain America costume patterns either.  So I decided that I would probably have to design them myself.

First off, I knew I had to buy the masks.  But I didn't want those cheap plastic ones that would break from one look from Sam.  I wanted some nice ones and found them at Toys R Us online.  (Iron Man here, or Captain America here).

Now, I am not a seamstress.... and I really don't like sewing unless I have to.  I just don't have the patience and I tend to get sloppy.  But I do have a certain level, even if small, when it comes to some designing... so I mentally gathered all my creative and costuming skills and headed off to Hobby Lobby to see what I could find.

Luckily, all their patterns were on sale for 99 cents, no joke!  I found this generic looking super hero pattern that I thought I could easily alter to get what I wanted.

This particular one caught my eye (D):
Then I looked at some pictures of Capt. America and Iron Man and combined the pattern picture with the pictures of the super heroes:
I made this sketch above.  Then I went to the store and picked out the fabric I wanted.  It took a whole Saturday to alter the pattern and make my own version with butcher paper, and then cut out all the pieces.  Yesterday, I finally got around to start sewing.  It took me a whole day and a half, but I was pleasantly surprised at the outcome!  Seeing my design come out, and WORK out gave me extreme pleasure.  Here's how they turned out (minus the boot covers, I misjudged how much red fabric I would need and I need to go back to the store and get another yard.):
One of Nephi's arm cuffs fell off -- Oops!  I need to attach them I think... Then after I took this picture above, I added the the Iron Man shape on the chest:
Both costumes will have red gloves and red boot covers.  Sammy will have a Capt. America shield too.  But this is what I have so far.

This year I want to have another Homemade Costume Contest like I did the last two year.  However, I can't afford to giveaway a gift cert. this year.  Sorry.  I can giveaway a hat or two... and if anyone would like to donate a prize and help out, I would LOVE that!!

To enter the 3rd Annual Halloween Homemade Costume Contest:

1. Email me (nutsinanutshell(at)gmail(dot)com) a picture of your homemade costume with a short description.

2.  Rules:

  • Can't be a costume you have entered in my contest before.
  • Has to be somewhat homemade by you.  It can be something you put together from thrift store stuff, or a pattern, or whatever.  It does NOT have to be 100% from scratch.  It just can't be something you bought in a costume, pre-made package.  You can check out some of the costumes from the last two years, to see what I am talking about.  Click here for all the links.  If you have any questions, please feel free to email me!!
That's it!  You have until October 24th at 11:59pm to enter your costume in the contest.  Voting will be from the 25th to the 30th, winner will be announced on Halloween!  If I can get some sponsors, there may be more than one winner!

Good Luck!!





Photobucket

No comments: