Tuesday, October 25, 2011

3rd Annual Homemade Costume Contest Entries!!

We didn't have as many entries as we did last year, but we still had some FANTASTIC ones!!!  There will be a couple prizes this year, so I am really excited, as always to present our 2011 Costumes!

Rules: voting will be posted on the sidebar to the right.  And will be open until Oct 31st at midnight.  Winners and prizes will be posted on the 1st of Nov.  Good luck everyone!!

The Jamaican Bobsled Team:

"All homemade from scratch the only thing purchased was the sweaters we had made at a t-shirt shop. The bobsled is made from plastic totes trash bags chicken wire garbage bag ties duct tape sticky foam paper broom sticks the helmets wear old children's hockey masks we took the cage off n spray painted"

Popcorn Costume:

"I GOT A LAUNDRY BASKET THAT I COULD FIT IN CUT OFF THE BOTTOM SMALL CIRCLE GLUED THE POSTER BOARD AROUND THE BASKET THEN CUT TO SHAPE, DUCT TAPED THE RED LINES , GLUED THE WHITE POSTER BOARD SQUARE ON FRONT, STENCILED OUT THE LETTERS FOR POP CORN ON FOAM PAPER AND THEN STUCK THE LETTERS TO THE FRONT OF THE BUCKET ON THE POSTER BOARD, THE HEAD BAND WAS COVERED IN RED DUCT TAPE THEN HOT GLUED POPCORN TO THE HEAD BAND MADE A YELLOW PIECE OF BUTTER OUT OF YELLOW DUCT TAPE AND A PIECE OF LEFT IVER POSTER BOARD AND HOT GLUE THAT TO THE HEADBAND AND POP CORN, THEN I HOT GLUED THE POP CORN TO A PAIR OF OLD EARINGS, I THEN PUIT THE COSTUME ON AND FILLED THE BUCKET TO THE RIM WITH POPCORN AND EVERY ONE ATE AND LOVED THE COSTUME!"


Owl Costume:

"This is the Owl Halloween Costume I made for my 2 year old son"

Michael Jackson in Thriller:

"THE JACKET WAS MADE FROM AN OLD WINTER COAT RED DUCT TAPE AND BLACK ELECTRICAL TAPE I COVERED THE JACKET COMPLETELY WITH RED DUCT TAPE AND DID THE BLACK DETAIL WITH THE ELECTRICAL TAPE WE THEN PUT A PAIR OF OLD RED SKINNY JEANS FROM SECOND HAND STORE AND GELLED HIS HAIR INTO CURLS

THE ENTIRE COSTUME PROBLY TOOK AN HOUR TO MAKE AND COST APBOUT 8 BUCKS"


Lady Gaga:





"When I was deciding on what my one year old should be for Halloween this year, I wanted her to be something I knew was original. So why not Lady GaGa?
"So to start her costume I took a onesie and cut one sleeve off at the shoulder seam, then cut the other sleeve off across diagonally from one shoulder, to under the opposite shoulder's armpit. (To make it one shoulder) Then I took some black sequin fabric and covered the onesie with it. Next, for the skirt, I took a regular blue jean skort she had and put it on top of a bowl. Then, I took regular black spray-paint and covered the entire skirt.(both from Wal-Mart) Then, covered it with spray glitter.
"Next came the diamonds...I found a yotube video on how to make those at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC7MrsAeFiU .....They were very tedious and took a while but turned out great.I made 3 different sizes just by adjusting the template size when I printed it out. They were all made from black cardstock. After I made them all, I glued them all onto the skirt in Then I also covered them with spray glitter. I covered a few with rhinestones for a little bling. I also found some great little 3D diamonds to add around the skirt (Wedding section at Hobby Lobby)
"The headband was pretty much made the same as the skirt. I made various sized diamonds and put them on a simple black headband. Then, I added more of my 3D diamonds, some swirls from silver wire, and some spray glitter! Painted some stars and some swirls on her, some glitter stockings, and squeaky shoes.....and VOILA!...LADY GAGA! Enjoy :)"

 Optimus Prime (Transformer):

"My 3 year old LOVES Transformers! When he asked me a few months ago to make him an Optimus Prime costume, I started to collect boxes and took on the challenge! We decided to create a costume from the original Optimus Prime. (The one from the cartoons when I was a kid!) I worked on it off and on throughout the day for about 2 weeks. The best part about this costume is that it was cheaper to make than it would have been to buy the generic costume from the store! Most of the parts required to make it were things I had around the house. The only thing I had to buy was the spray paint, 4 flashlights and a sheet of foam board! It took quite a bit of patience and lots of trial and error but it sure paid off! He couldn't be happier with it and is SO excited to trick or treat! "

Thanks to everyone who entered this year! These costumes are fantastic!!! Don't forget to vote (you can vote for more than one)!!

-Cat

7 comments:

Ariana said...

You did get really good entries this year. They are amazing!

aggiefamily said...

I don't know how to vote so... Optimus Prime all the way!

aggiefamily said...

Optimus Prime!!!!

Lydia said...

Definitely Optimus Prime! So creative!

Ana said...

Well, here is where I wish there were catagories, lol. So, I'll make some up. For most elaborate/most work/how on earth did you put all that together: Optimus Prime

For low budget, fast, and, wow, pretty spot on: Michael Jackson

Heidi said...

I haven't even gotten our costumes together yet this year so no entry for me. I love these costumes! These are awesome!!

Ana said...

Yeah, I'm with Heidi on that one - I far too last minute, although one of them is a complete cut down of one of my husband's obsolete uniforms (the Navy redid most of its uniforms a couple years ago, so it's totally legal now!), so it's half done. I'll probably be sewing that until the night before, eek.