Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Case of the Potty Mouth

Look at this face:

So innocent...

NOT!

This little man has developed a case of the potty mouth. Contracted from one Mr. Daddy'o who caught it from spending too much time in Army training. Apparently it is really contagious!
And to be fair, I have to admit that I am known to let them slip now and again... not the big ones, mind you... but some of the smaller crude ones.  I just try to do it when the kids aren't around -- but Sam seems to hear everything these days, so who knows.

What I do know is that things need to change around the Nutshell.

Yesterday, I heard Sam playing by himself in his room.  He gets dialogues going with his toys that never fail to make me smile or laugh.  This particular play was taking place on his Fisher Price pirate ship between Dora the Explorer and Swiper.

Background as I understand it:  Dora was on the pirate ship and got the treasure.  BUT Swiper had a spaceship and was trying to steal the treasure.

Dora: Swiper NO SWIPING! Swiper NO SWIPING!

Swiper: Dora, you really p*ss me off!!!

Me: GASP! (Wasn't expecting to hear that!  Sam totally changed the lines!  If I wasn't so horrified that word popped out, I might have laughed... and truth be told, once I was away I did snicker a little, but don't tell him that!)

I tried to explain to him that we don't say words like that.  He was really confused because he hears dear ol' daddy'o say it all the time.  And as much as I tell him, he keeps saying it!  He told Nephi last night that he really p*sses him off.  AND I heard him this morning telling his boots the same thing when he couldn't tie his laces.

I really blame myself.  We got so used to the boys not copying what we said that we let our guard down and now we have to teach them by changing ourselves.  I hate being a bad influence!  Erk.  Oh, well -- we can fix this!  Meanwhile, I just keep telling myself that it could be worse, right?




Photobucket

4 comments:

Suzanne @ All Because Two People Fell in Love said...

I know EXACTLY what you are going through and EXACTLY how you feel. Our little girl who turns 3 next month repeats everything. She said something very similar the other day. Tim usually says: Such and such is really pissing me off. Well sure enough the other day Tim was correcting her on something and she says: Daddy, Am I pissing you off? I keep telling the hubby [really we keep telling each other] that we need to watch our mouths.

Jason Millett said...

I think if Sam was to write for Dora the Explorer I would find it much more enjoyable.

Catherine Metz said...

You should hear what they say to the teacher. Parents would be absolutely mortified if they realized the family "news" that gets so casually and proudly revealed at the oddest moments.

Lindsey said...

As much as I detest that particular word, it's a super funny story! Once when playing I was overheard saying to a toy, "Oh Rory, you're so D&mn funny!" And my sister was heard muttering, "Let's see if you B@stards can do 90!" (Back to the Future) So you see, it could be worse. : )