Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Summer Reading and Writing Program

Sam has recently shown a keen interest in words.  It rather surprised me, to say the least, because he has always been a huge fan of numbers.  The kid rights algebraic equations on his bed room wall for crying out loud! (That's a story for another time).  Ever since he learned how to spell his name he has been writing it on every blank surface he can find -- can't seem to understand how I know it was him that did it... hmmm....

Anyway, he started pointing to words and asking what they were.  I told him and then he would practice writing them.  So here I have a stack of papers with words randomly scribbled like: Mommy.  Happy.  Birthday.  Nephi.  Daddy.  Stuff like that.  So I came up with a fun idea to teach both my kids how to read and write.  I made up some pages like this:

I also made a "Daddy" one and a "Sam" one.  They were an instant hit!!  They LOVED that they could color themselves and mommy and daddy.  So I thought, you know, I could make this a whole summer program and do pages for lots of things like: "Grandpa" and "Grandma" or "Family" and lots of other things that are familiar to them.

Then I thought, well, if my kids liked these, then maybe I should share!  Here are some tips on how to make your own pages:

Font:  Here is the link for the font I used:  Trace Font for Kids

Here is blank page I made, you can download and save it:
And some pre-made Mommy and Daddy ones, just insert pictures:

Picture:
Now I just made my picture I picked into a coloring page.  Here's how I did it:
-I used Photoshop Elements, by selecting the "Photocopy" option in the Filter: Sketch: Photocopy menus.  Then I just played with the settings until I got it right.
-If you don't have Photoshop, you can also do this in Gimp (you can download it for free here)
-Then I basically did the click, drag, resize and all that.
 Pretty fast and simple!  And the kiddos love them!  Can't do better than that.


***********

On a more serious note, I just want to thank all of you for all your love and support you have shown my family and me during this rough patch in our lives.  It means a lot to know there are so many out there who care.  It was one of the hardest things for me to write that post yesterday, I felt very exposed.  But after much thought, I just couldn't let other parents go through what we are if there was a chance I could send out a warning.  Thank you.  I will let you know if their are any updates.

Meanwhile, I hope to make life as normal as possible for my family and myself by trying to put it behind us the best we can and move forward.  It is my hope that we are stronger, wiser, and closer as a family because of it.  I will do my best to put Sam's welfare first, as always, and follow the advise of the kind officers, detectives, and social workers that are helping us through this.  Thanks again for all your prayers on our behalf.



Photobucket

2 comments:

Samantha @ three birds on a branch said...

That is such an awesome idea!

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Oh my goodness, awesome!!! Now *those* are pages you should totally save forever!