I think Basic Training was the WORST! Only because Ben hasn't been through a real deployment, yet -- I have limited experiences to go by. But whether or not he is stateside, an hour away or over seas, not being able to hit him on speed dial any time I want, really stinks! I know I need to get used to it, because as soon as he is commissioned in a couple years, he will most likely be deployed... many times.
But does anyone ever get used to being without their man? I mean you adjust and get into a routine, but life just isn't complete without him.
This week Ben has a training on a base that has no cell phone reception. He has trainings there every 6 months for 4-5 days at a time, and I hate it. I don't get to talk to him. Being able to chat for a few minutes at night when he is gone for longer periods of time make the days more bearable without him. But not getting to talk at all... drives me crazy.
I make a little list of things I want to tell him, so I don't forget when he comes home. The list can get pretty long! From funny things the kids do, to stuff I see on TV or on the news. He's my best friend, and it is so hard for me not to be able to pick up the phone and tell him that Sam told me today that he didn't want to grow big boobies like mommy. Or that Nephi said he wanted to be an Army Pirate when he grows up.
I know I need to buck up. And I will. I think I did really well when he was gone that whole year a year ago. I guess I am just getting used to having him home now, that these longer summer trainings are getting on my nerves.
So I have thought up a few things for me to do to keep my mind off his on and off absences this summer.
1. Focus on getting back in shape. I am going to do the walking challenge again, announcement coming next week!
2. Deep clean the house.
3. Hold a summer preschool for my boys with crafts, field trips, and activities.
4. Visit family. Road trips are fun... and my boys are pretty good little travelers.
5. Work on my hats. See my shop here!
6. Keep up my blog and writing. With the pregnancy and new baby, I have been a bit of a slacker lately and I need to pick it back up! (By the way, I am getting creamed in the contest, so pop over and vote for me please!!!!!)
What do you do to pass the time when your hubby is gone??