Tuesday, May 17, 2011

I Married My Father!

Dad and  Me
As a teenager and young adult, I never believed people when they said that we marry men like our dads.  I loved my dad dearly, but there were things about him that drove me nuts and I swore up and down that I would marry a guy LIKE my dad in the things that I liked, but not those other qualities...

What I didn't know, was that all those good things came in a package with all those other things too.  They go hand in hand for some reason.

Dad working on one of the
first kind of computers
One of the things I loved about my dad was his handyman skills.  He could seriously fix ANYTHING!  Aside from being a cop, my father even had a little side business where he would fix TVs and VCRs for friends at work (this was in the days before plasma screens and DVD players).  He could fix cars, trucks, bikes... to name a few.  And he could build ANYTHING too!  We were the only kids in our neighborhood, and maybe even the state, with a homemade hot-tub.

He made our swing sets -- five cheers for the good 'ol tire swing!!

He even made us this huge tower in the back yard we could climb up and see the neighborhood... I don't think the neighborhood liked it much, and it probably should have had a lightening rod on top -- but those were the days when playground toys rocked!  Now it's all about safety and suing people.

My dad built our play house, doll furniture, canopy and bunk beds.  If he could build it, then why buy it?

Then I went and married a farm boy.  Ben helped build his parents house, and actually wired it when he was 8 years old.  (I should have known that I was doomed to have "resourceful" children!)  I saw that "handy-man" trait in Ben and it was one of the reasons I fell in love with him!  He could fix my car (he worked at a service station for years as a teen), and he could build just about anything.  What a turn on!  All my lady friends are jealous and tell me all the time that their man doesn't know the radiator from the muffler.  We get calls often for Ben to go look at a car or truck for someone.

BUT as good as being married to a handy-man is.... well, there is the down side too.  They like to keep everything!!  We have boxes full of wires, electrical components, and every kind of adapter and cell phone charger you can think off!  I, on the other hand, can't handle clutter and things we don't need, so I am often getting in trouble for throwing stuff (aka crap) out.  My mom humors my dad... not me!  If we don't need it in the foreseeable future it goes in the trash.

Then there are the "inventions".

If Ben needs a job done and there is nothing that can get it done for a reasonable price, he will rig something up.  For example, the other day, I came home to this:

What the heck?  Is that my blow-dryer!?  And the reason my house smells like feet?  His boots were wet and not getting dry fast enough!  Apparently a common thing among military men...

So...

Military wives:  If you can't think of something to get your husband for Father's Day...



Photobucket

6 comments:

Karen and Gerard said...

My dad was a handyman too who liked to make things from wood and could fix just about anything. He too was a "collector" and seldom threw anything away. I do miss not having a handyman around the house. My husband calls me when anything breaks.

Suzanne said...

I laughed out loud when I saw that. I would had love to of been there to see the expression on your face. Probably priceless!

Lydia said...

I too married my dad my hammer swinging husband is very much like my hammer swinging father. love the boot dryer. it is too cool.

Jill said...

Thanks for the laugh. I really needed that today. I was just reading along and then that picture of the blowdryer.... Knowing you two a bit, I can picture how the whole thing played out. That's great!

kisatrtle said...

I am not sure if I married my dad or not. My hubby is significantly more handy than my dad, but sometimes my hubby thinks he can tell me when to go to bed or how to put things away...that gets on my nerves quick!

chelle said...

Oh man I can't stop laughing at his invention! I love it. Too bad the house had his foot smell through it though.