Monday, March 14, 2011

What They Don't Tell You About Postpartum...

You know they should really write a pregnancy book geared towards women who have had babies before.  It's not like we think we already know everything there is to know about pregnancy, because I am sure that all of us would agree that every pregnancy is different.  I mean how many of us have read "What to Expect when you are Expecting" with every baby we have had?  I know I have!

But the one fault I find with every pregnancy book is that they don't talk a lot about what your body will do just because you have already had a baby before.  Sure they have the little section here and there with tips on how to break the news to your older children, or to remind you to check your crib and make sure it is still up to the safety code.  They will mention that labor may be easier... then again it may not... not much help there.  And so on, you get the point.

What I think they should do is expand on the postpartum section!  Because let me tell you now, subsequent pregnancies, labor, and birth may go more smoothly, BUT the postpartum is a lot harder!

With my last babies, I didn't even feel my uterus contracting down.  This time, however, they hurt so bad, especially when I nursed that the nurses at the hospital had to come in, stick an IV in my hand and give me some serious pain medicine to get the cramping to settle down.  The next two hours after that I can't remember...

I asked them why it hurt so bad when it didn't before and they told me that with every baby you have, the stronger the contractions are after.  I'll say!  They just don't warn you about this kind of stuff!  They should warn a girl, you know.  It would be nice to be prepared that your pain may be worse AFTER the labor and delivery.

It still hurts too!  Not as bad, but there are lots of cramps in my stomach area... like all the time.  I can deal with it now, but it still stinks.

At least nursing is easier!  Then again, it may just be me... my little guy was born to feed.  No joke!  He started rooting around the moment they handed him to me.  Good grief, little man, at least take your first breath before you move on!

Maybe it is a male thing...

I don't know.

What I do know is that I am super tired and ready for a nap!  Good thing my mom is still here and can hold down the fort so I can rest.  These last few nights have been a nightmare.  Jacob, like my last two, is jaundice and has to be on that blasted light.  Of course he hates it and won't let us sleep at night.  But that's parenthood for you!  Hopefully he will get off it tonight... waiting for the call now.  Meanwhile, I think I smell pizza in the next room... thank heaven for moms!



Photobucket

7 comments:

crystal said...

agreed agreed agreed. Not only have my contraction been worse with each child, you now have more children to care for. You are lucky to have a sweet mom. I also seem to get the baby blues more and more with each child, I find myself wondering how I will make it, or if I am the worst mom EVER. I also find that with every baby, I get bigger and bigger each pregancy. I think it would be great to read a book about tips on after you already have kids.

Ruth said...

My third son/child came out the same way ready to eat! I hope he gets to stay away from the light tonight!

Jill said...

Postpartum is certainly different with each kid. One, you forget (if there's been a big enough break). And two, eventhough your body "knows" what to do before, during, and after pregnancy, it isn't as young as it used to so the pain and bounce-back-ness isn't quite the same. Nor is the energy level because you're up all night with the baby plus trying to be a mom with the others during the day. My baby is finally over the year mark and just now we're finally out of that stage.

I wish you luck. I'm glad your mom is there to help for a bit. Moms are the best.

Ailinh said...

Totally agree, girl. I got myself thinking along the same lines asking "How come they didn't tell me this..." or "How come they didn't tell me that..." Anywho, yay for moms! To me, it almost felt like I wanted my mom more than wanting to become a mom on my own yet when my kiddos came out. ;)

Cynthia said...

No one told me about the 'roids! I had them bad with the twins but not at all with my singleton. There always seems to be some pertinent information left out!

Congrats on the new little guy!

Carrie and Karl said...

Congrats on your new little one. I've been amazed at the difference in pregnancy, labor, delivery and postpartum from child to child. If I knew my next baby would be like the last one I would have no problems being ready, but what if he/she is more like the first 2? I'll hope you get rid of the light soon, that is no fun. And good luck with recovery!

Catherine said...

I know what you mean! I even delivered my last one naturally because I was able to breath through each contraction and relieve any pain, but then I begged for those pain meds afterwards. It felt like someone was jabbing me HARD in the tummy each time my uterus was contracting back down. Ouch! And I don't remember taking any naps with my third to catch up on sleep since my older two demanded attention. Man, being a mom is a rollarcoaster, huh?!