Thursday, March 10, 2011

Introducing: The Pea-Nut!

I have had a lot of emails this week from family and friends wanting to know all the nitty-gritties of the induction this week.  Well, I won't bore you with a minute by minute play-back, but I will tell you some of the highlights.

Early Monday morning, Ben and I headed out to the hospital for the induction.  We got checked in around 7:30 am and started being induced around 8 ish.  I was really nervous, because they told me that I had a long way to go and that the induction was going to painful and long.  Thanks for the honestly, but a little sugar-coated encouragement would have been grateful, to say the least.

The contractions started right away, but they were pretty much just like the Braxton-Hicks I had been having anyway, so it wasn't too much of a big deal.  But I started to worry that because the contractions weren't strong that they weren't doing anything.  My heart was sinking a little after each lame contraction, hoping they would hurry up and do something!  And I couldn't help but be disappointed when the nurse came in and told me after a couple of hours that it was time to check for dilation.  But I was determined to be light-hearted and brave.  I wanted to the patient that the nurses remembered for the day as the funny one with a good attitude.  However, much to my surprise, I WAS dilated!  To a 2!  It may have been three hours, but it was 3 hours of sitting back and relaxing letting my body do it on it's own time... with a little help from Mr. Pitocin.

Then about 2 hours later, I had a stronger contraction, and I was thinking, FINALLY it's getting started!  And  the contraction made my water break!  First time ever, and at first I thought I had wet the bed, but the nurse came in and confirmed.  The baby was on it's way, and there was no going back now!

I knew the contractions would start picking up now that my water had broken.  I waited for the familiar strong back labor pains I felt with my other two boys... they didn't come.  I just kept getting these little lame contractions that I knew were far from really getting me going.  What was wrong with me?

The nurse came in a couple hours later to check my progress, and I braced myself to hear that I wasn't progressing well, or something like that.  But once again, I was pleasantly surprised to hear that I was almost dilated to a 5!  This was around 4 or 5 in the late afternoon, and my nurse told me to tell her when I wanted my epidural.  Well, I thought, it was just too soon!  It didn't hurt yet!  At least not so bad that I had to breath special or anything.  I didn't want to get my epidural too soon... but I didn't want to wait too long either.

So about 6 or 7 I decided that I had better get it just in case.  I mean it wouldn't hurt to get it done now, right?  Well, let's just say that getting the epidural was the more painful part of the whole labor... and it wasn't even that bad.  They did tap into the sciatic nerves that had been bothering me and that nearly sent me flying off the bed... but it was worth it when it kicked in.

The rest of the night was just chilling and waiting.  The dilation started going faster after that and around 11:30 pm, I felt a lot of pressure and kind of felt like pushing.  I called the nurse in and she checked me.  "Don't even think about pushing!" She said.  I was fully ready and they rushed to call my doctor.  While we were waiting, we started taking bets on when he was going to be born... today or tomorrow.

The doctor came in at 11:45.  I pushed a few times... and out he flew!  He was born at 11:50 pm on 3-7-11 (which my husband the math guy liked because he has a thing for prime numbers... math geek...).  After my last two labors, this one was SO SO SO easy it was almost embarrassing!

Little Jacob came out looking like he was covered in Desitin.  He was 7 lbs 8 oz (a whole pound smaller than Sam and Nephi were at 8 pounds 8 oz.) and 19 inches (my others were 21).


He was so awake and alert!  Here he is above with proud Grandma and below with happy to have it over, Daddy.
And look at all that hair!!!!

We brought him home on Wed morning, to a very happy big brother, Sammy! 
Nephi on the other hand wants nothing to do with him right now.  I think he is just going through a phase... he used to be the baby and all that jazz.  But we are working on it.

Photobucket

17 comments:

Jill said...

Congrats! The youngest always have the hardest time and the oldest can't wait to be momma's helper!

Wendy said...

Wow!! What a handsome little guy!! Congrats!! And what a LONG DAY, but at least it wasn't too unbearable through most of it!!

Lydia said...

Congrates. He is very cute. Glad your induction went so well.

Marisa said...

Wow, what a blessing to have an easy-ish labor. Congratulations on your new cute little guy!

Bridget said...

What an adorable baby and I'm glad that things went so well! Congratulations!

Anika and Sean said...

What a cutie! Congratulations!

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Oh yea!!!!!!!! You made it! And he is SOOOOOOOOOOO cute and sweet!!! I bet he's being loved to pieces by those brothers! Happy recovery. :)

Heidi said...

Yea!! I'm so glad this one went so well. I was hoping/praying you wouldn't have to go through what you went through with Nephi. That was so hard. I remember how traumatized your mom was. ;) So glad you had a good experience this time around!!

Damaris said...

Congrats! I'm glad things went well for you.

Cammy said...

Aww so cute! Congratulations! I am so glad the delivery went well and I hope your recovery goes smoothly too. I laughed that Nephi totally ignores the baby because that is what my then 2 year old did. I was totally shocked when a week after she was born he asked if he could hold her. Then he went back to ignoring her. Kids are so funny.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story Cat! I am so happy things went so well for you. Your little man is ADORABLE! So much hair too! What a cutie. I hope you are all doing really well.

-Andrea Baci

Amanda said...

He's beautiful.Congrats!

Haley Hatch Freeman said...

Congrats!!! Treasure each second they grow up so fast.
He is such a doll by the way! So sweet! I'm happy for your all!

amonkeyslife said...

He's adorable and I'm happy that your labor went so well! Congrats!

Our Family said...

Congratulations, Catherine! You guys sure make some cute babies! He's beautiful!

Tera said...

Congratulations! He's beautiful.

Jordan said...

Congratulations! He's a gorgeous baby.