Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Popping Sound...

That title sounds a little ominous doesn't it?  Maybe a little scary... or maybe not.  The fact of the matter is, "the popping sound" is actually more weird than anything, and even a bit of a mystery.

Let me take you back to the beginning...

When I was pregnant with Sam, about 5 1/2 years ago, and in my last trimester, I started hearing this weird noise.  It was this popping sound.  It took me only a little while to realize that the sound was coming from the baby.  He would move around and then I would hear these faint, at first, popping noises from within the womb.  I was a little weirded out and jumped on the computer to google it.  Needless to say, I didn't find anything.  Then I thought maybe I was just hearing things.  But then one day, Ben was sitting by me watching TV and he heard it too!

I wasn't too concerned about it, but I mentioned it at my next apt. with my doctor.  She looked at me like I was nuts.  She said there is no way I could hear sounds outside the womb.  I told her I did and that my husband did too!  She basically rolled her eyes at me (I didn't like this doctor and didn't go back for Nephi), and told me that she would indulge me and order an ultrasound to check it out.

So a week before I had Sam, I went in.  They looked around in there, and he was HUGE!  I couldn't believe the difference in size from when I went in at 20 weeks to when I went in at 39.  I could even see his hair!

They checked all his joints, and everything seemed all right.  They thought I was weird when I mentioned the popping sound... until they heard it.  And they couldn't explain it either, just thought it was super weird.

Then Sam was born and the moment he stretched out.... his little ankles made a loud POP!  Mystery solved, Sam had popping ankles!  They didn't last long, maybe until he was about 3 months old.

And then we forgot all about it....

Nephi didn't pop.

But about two weeks ago, I was sitting on the couch watching the news when I heard that all too familiar sound... pop.  pop.  pop.

"Well, Ben,"  I called to my husband.  "Sounds like we have another popper!"

And we do.  I just heard it even now.  POP.

Photobucket


PS For old times sake I just googled it again. Apparently there are other mom's out there who hear it too, but no one has answers for them. I am pretty sure, it's the ankles again.

3 comments:

Bridget said...

That is so funny, I've never heard of that! I HATE myself for asking this, because I know that you're really busy but I was wondering if you'd ever heard from the salad package people from your fun challenge. I just hadn't gotten my stuff yet and I have to admit that I was geekily excited about it. If it doesn't work out that's fine, I just thought that I'd check. I hope that you guys have some sunshine today!

Samantha said...

Wow, that is odd and interesting! I know if I had heard that popping noise while pregnant with my son, I would have gone crazy.

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Hahaha, oh my gosh, that is soooooooooo funny!! Bizarre! But at least now you know what it is. :)