Monday, January 10, 2011

A Few Tips for the Reluctant Potty Trainee (Namely Boys)

Well, friends, it's official!  This mama no longer has kids in diapers!!  Woo Hoo!!!  At least until March... but a couple months of being diaper-free is going to be awesome!

As most of you know, it has been a very long uphill battle for me to get these two boys potty trained.  Sam with his speech/ language impairment and Nephi with his stubborn will and love of diapers.  I thought I would share a few tips of this trade, since I consider myself a bit of a pro now.

1.  Potty training the language impaired:  see this post here and here on how I potty trained Sam.

2.  Problem:  Doesn't like the texture of the underwear.  This is a very common issue, especially with boys.  Have you noticed that little girl panties are thin and soft and then they have these rough boy ones with thick bands.  This was my Nephi's issue:  He didn't like the feeling of the big boys.  And I don't blame him.  All the softer ones I found were in the boys section and too big and too expensive.  So finally I found some at TJ Maxx -- some cute little boxer briefs made by Calvin Klein.  Since they were at TJ Maxx they were discounted and cost the same as the rough and tough Walmart ones.  I bought them and the boys were MORE than thrilled at the soft quality.  They were almost a t-shirt material.  Sam said to me:

"Oh, mommy!  These are SO soft!  Thank you, thank you!" and gave me a huge hug.  I love being the hero.

Now, it's just hard to get them to change them because they fear they may have to wear the other ones again... I may have to go back and get some more so they don't feel that way.

3.  Hold pants hostage.  I don't know about your boys, but my 3 year old LOVES his pants.  But when he wears them, he tends to forget that he is in his big boys and wets his pants more often.  So I hold them hostage.  He can't have his pants until goes in the potty.  This drives him crazy, but he is a lot more conscientious about when he needs to go. 

4.  Potty charts work for some, but not all.  Sam needed the potty chart because it was visual.  He needed something to help him understand what was expected of him.  Nephi on the other hand, abuses the potty chart.  He will go on the potty solely to fill it up with stickers to get a prize.  We did this last week, and I took him to the store to get his prize.  This was the second time we did this, and it panned out the same way both times, as soon as the potty chart is done and prize is collected, he goes back to wetting his pants.  No joke, the other day, the minute he collected his due and we walked in the door, he peed his pants.  And I refuse to keep doing potty charts and giving him prizes if he was just going to go back to the way he was.

5.  Throw the diapers out!!  This was the last resort.  I didn't want him to have anything to fall back on, Nephi that is.  I was to the point where I didn't mind cleaning up his messes, I just didn't want him in diapers any more.  It was hard for him.  No diapers.  His pants were MIA, and at first his underwear were uncomfortable.  But he was forced to make up his mind on what he was going to do about it, and finally... we have another potty semi-pro.

I think my biggest tip is just to find out what matters the most to the kid and use it any way you can to get them to take the potty leap.    It's so worth it!!

What's your best potty training advice?



Photobucket

2 comments:

Rachel said...

My first was a hard trainer too, it took until he was almost 4 to stop wetting his pants, and I was training him for almost 2 years. I am dreading my next son, who loves going to the potty, but hates underwear and loves to pee on the floor on purpose too:) I dont really have advice, prizes never worked, pull ups never worked, being wet didnt bother him, letting him be naked all day worked a little though!
Yay for you!

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Oh wow, never thought about the underwear texture, but you're so right! What a good idea to find boxers! LOVE all your tips too, I am already afraid of potty training our son and he isn't even born yet. :)