Friday, January 28, 2011

The Big Three-O

Today is my birthday.  I am no longer a twenty-something... which is a bit of a bummer.  I liked being in my twenties.  I felt comfortable there.  Still living the student life on campus, being in my twenties was just fine -- but now I am thirty... and now I am suddenly feeling too old to live here.  Not to mention that my husband is 2 years my junior and  still twenty-something for two more years.  I asked him this morning what it was like to be married to an old woman in her 30's now... he just laughed.  No words of comfort, just laughed at me.  Turd.

I think my big issue is the fact that I never thought I would still be in this situation (financially speaking) by the time I was thirty.  I thought I would for sure be in a house with a husband that had a career.... Nope, still students.

Sigh.

But you know what?  It really isn't that bad.

I think of all the people out there losing their jobs and homes and suddenly I feel safe being in the student situation.  We are actually very blessed.  Ben and I have a great marriage of 6 years now, 2 beautiful healthy boys and one on the way.  Ben is doing really well in school and in the Army, and I am actually selling some of my hats!  I have a great extended family and friends, and we enjoy the people that live around us.  We always seem to have enough to eat and means to pay all our bills and still do fun things once in a while.

I look back in my thirty years and honestly have no regrets.  It's been a good life with lots of growth, learning, challenges, events, and everything else in between!  There isn't anything I would take back.  Nothing that happened that didn't teach me something and make me into the woman I am today.  I just hope that in ten years I can say the same thing when I turn forty!

So what do I really have to complain about?

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

My twenties were actually some very difficult years, and I should be singing praises that they are gone and now I can look forward to a great future!  Lots of things are going to happen in my thirties:  Ben will graduate, we will get to have a house, the boys will be in school, and maybe our family will even grow some more.  Who knows what the future holds!  But isn't it exciting to think about what might be waiting?  I think so.

So Happy Birthday to ME!




Photobucket

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Love it, LOVE IT! Welcome to the big 3-0! I was excited to enter my 30s, there are plenty of great things yet to come and I'm ready for them!! Hope you have a wonderful birthday!

Our Family said...

Those are very cute pictures of you, Cat! Happy birthday!

Otter Thomas said...

Hope you have a great day. Happy Birthday!

Damaris said...

Happy Birthday! I hope it's an awesome day.

Stacey said...

Happy belated birthday! I've decided that life begins at 30.