Monday, October 11, 2010

Learning Patience

Much more than I want to learn too.

I knew things were going to be hard, when I went to parent-teacher conference last week and Sam's teacher told me that I had to get rid of the pull-ups.  Sam has been going #1 alright for the last 6 months... but he refuses, albeit politely ("No thanks"), to go poop on the potty.

Getting Sam to go poop on the potty is like getting Ben to do the dishes... impossible, frustrating, and near close to putting me on an anti-anxiety pill!!

Right about now, you are thinking of the best advice to help me out.  But stop right there.  Know that I have tried everything!  Sam will be 5 years old tomorrow, and don't think for one minute that I haven't researched until my eyes near pop out about what to do to help my little guy.  I have even made up my own ways... which have also failed miserably.  You know how it is, you tell people what's going on just because you want to vent... and then they give you such obvious advice that makes you want to roll your eyes and say, "You think I didn't try that?!"  Hellllooooo!  What kind of mother do you think I am?

Or you get criticized:

"He's almost 5 and still can't poop on the toilet?!" Then they look at your son like he is more than just special needs, or they look at me like I am!

I don't need that today.

So what I really need is patience and understanding.  It will happen right?  You don't see many if any kids graduating from high school in diapers right?

But the wait is just so taxing!  And not to mention a little embarrassing and nerve racking.  Sam pooped on the bus last week.  The runs too.  It's bad enough for me to have to clean it up, but for other people?  I guess I just have too much pride... oh, well, I guess I will just have to get over it one way or the other.

There is a bright side though.

Because of Sam's disabilities in some areas, he excels in lots of others!  One of which is his ability to organize, plan, and execute.  Today, Ben let me sleep in.  I woke up to some suspicious sounds...  The boys had tricked Ben into going into their room, which they locked when he got inside.  I appeared on the scene as they were breaking into their daddy's desk and raiding his chocolate stash.  Nice try guys, one flaw in your plan... you forgot Mommy... and Mommy always knows when something is going down.

Photobucket

6 comments:

Ashley said...

Hey, I know that you said you didn't want any comments, and I hope you don't get upset/annoyed with mine...but I really want to share just a quick word. I have a nephew who is 7 and still dealing with poop issues, and I just want to tell you that he's recently been going to a "poop clinic" where doctors help with the psychological side of a child not wanting to poop...You probably have already looked into such a thing, or your not interested, and he really may likely just grow out of it, but reading your blog made me think of it, and I just wanted to share a good thing...if you're interested...

Mama Nut said...

Oh, I don't mind comments in least bit!! And I have never heard of a Poop Clinic... sounds interesting, thanks I will have to look into that if things don't seem to get better on our own.

Jill said...

Cat, you know me.... you're preaching to the choir on this one. I get so annoyed sometimes when people offer their advice about my son. So I totally get where you are coming from. I will say that Ashley is right.... when I went to Utah State for Mason's autism testing, they told me about services there that help kids with potty training.

It gets exhausting trying every trick in the book. Believe me... we did the same thing with Mason. Sam is a smart cookie. But it doesn't mean everything comes easy. So it is okay ask for help if it is available in your area. Good luck!

Carrie and Karl said...

I totally understand. My oldest son didn't stay dry and clean until about a year ago, and he turns 6 this week. And my 3 1/2 year old can stay dry when he wants to, but that is rarely the case, and he has never pooped in the potty. So, while I know how frustrating it is, I also know how frustrating it is when others make you feel awful about it. Good luck! You can do it! Sam can do it! And the victory will be much sweeter after fighting a harder fight!

Our Family said...

Good luck with the potty training. It's never a fun time for the mom.

I love the story of Sam and Nephi locking Ben up to get to his stash! "Mommy always knows when something is going down." Ha!

Anonymous said...

They're ready when it's on their terms and their time. It will come.