Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Mystery and the Happy Fetus

There are three words in the English language that we NEVER EVER want to hear come out of the mouth of our doctor's while getting examined:  OH MY GOSH!!!  or even:  WHAT THE HELL?!

Yesterday, I got the double whammy.

I don't want to go into detail because this is, at the risk of sounding redundant, very personal and extremely private.  I am not going to air out all the details for the world to know.  Way too embarrassing! Suffice it to say, that I have this mysterious "thing" going on with this pregnancy that has been bothering me every four weeks since I had pneumonia last April.  And frankly, it's been hell.

Yesterday, after a weekend "flair up," I called my OB/GYN and told them I felt like dying, but I know I had to hang on for the baby.  I think they took me seriously, because I got an appointment for the afternoon to come in and have the doctor take a look at me.  Actually, I KNOW they took me seriously because the first thing they asked me about was how I felt about getting on an anti-depressant.  I just laughed.  Luckily, my OB/GYN has a sense of humor and my chuckling gave me away.

Before she examined me, she talked to me about some of the things it could be, and nothing really sounded right.  The next few minutes went as follows:

Dr:  Let me just take a look.  Just lay back and relax...
Me: Okay... (who can ever relax at a time like this...)
Doc shines a light on me:  OH. MY. GOSH!!!
Me:  Oh, that's comforting!
Dr:  WHAT THE HELL!?
Me:  No offense, but that is NOT what doctors are supposed to say!
Dr: Sorry.  Hold on.  I have GOT to get a culture of that!!
Me feeling like a lab specimen: Great.  Whatever.  Just figure out what's going on and heal me please.
Dr. while taking a culture:  I can not imagine what kind of pain you are in!
Me:  Well, I am pretty tough (Until I get to the car and cry my eyes out because I am going to die of some mysterious rash thing)!

It's a good thing I have a sense of humor and can have a good laugh over the whole situation.  And laughing I am.  Got to love life's little conundrums.

As for everything else...

The baby is healthy.  Nephi got to hear the baby's heart beat, which thrilled him to no end!  He is pretty shy around people he doesn't know, and didn't say much, but you should have seen his little eyes light up when the doctor told him the baby was swimming.

As soon as we got home, he shot through the door and went right up to Ben and Sam who were sitting on the couch watching TV.

"Daddy!!!  Sammy!!!  Baby in mommy's tummy is SWIMMING!"  He said with such gusto and amazement that I had to chuckle.  It was as if he had been worried since Sam told him I ate the baby and he just found out that the baby actually LIKED being in the tummy because it was SWIMMING!  I can just see in my mind through Nephi's eyes of this little baby in there wearing a swim suit, goggles and water-wings doing flutter kicks off the side of my belly.

Well, in a few months, it will probably feel like that anyway...

It should take a few days to find out what's wrong with me.  So I'll let you know when I know if I going to die or not.  Hopefully, it will be the latter.  Dying would just screw up all my plans, and that would be very inconvenient.

Have a great day everyone!





Photobucket

PS- Note:  I don't want anyone to misunderstand me, I LOVE my OB/GYN!  I think she is hoot!  She is kind, values my opinions, doesn't treat me like I am stupid, and listens to me.  I think the thing I love the most about her is her honesty.  If she doesn't know something, she tells me -- she doesn't act like she does and promises to find an answer.  She is my 3rd baby doctor, so I know what I want in a Doctor, and she is it!

4 comments:

Britt said...

Wowzers I think I would so freak out if the doctor said that to me. I hope you feel better quick and not expire anytime soon.

Heidi said...

What a nut! I can't believe your dr would say those things. Scary! I hope you feel better and they can figure it out.

I love the swimming part!! So cute!!

Amanda said...

That's the part about pregnancy that freaks me out- if you think something is wrong you can't just pop on in and check on the baby.
And then your Doc says stuff like that- I would have totally had a panic attack.

Becky in Wyo said...

You have a funny, open relationship with your doctor. she sounds like a hoot! (Although I'm sure this was not a particularly humorous moment, rather a scary one, but you see, it's funny in retrospect.) You both remind me of my sister, Sue, who is very open and funny.

And congrats on the "swimming" baby!