Saturday, September 4, 2010

Embracing the Belly

Now for someone who just lost almost a 100 pounds this last year, seeing the scale start to creep up again, even though pregnant, can be a little nerve racking.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not an idiot or anything and I know that gaining slow weight is essential for a healthy pregnancy -- but it doesn't make it any easier to feel and see it happening.

Unlike my last pregnancies, this baby is riding high from the beginning.  So my normal pants have been fitting me alright... which has been great for my self-esteem.  However, I have noticed in the last few weeks, that by insisting on wearing my "normals" I have been squishing belly and baby and everything else out the top.  I have been looking like a real muffin!  BUT my normal pants still fit, right?

Well, last night, Ben and I went on a date.  I prided myself in still looking pretty good in my "normals" and I only had to wear a looser top to hide the bulge.  We went out and had a great time.  Afterwards we went to the mall to go look in the Motherhood store.  I love that place even when I am not pregnant!  I thought to go look and see if they have any of those bands that you can wear over your normal pants to make them look like maternity ones.

The manager was working last night, and she was really nice and helpful.  AND she was honest, and kindly blunt about my bulge.  She  told me that I was only making myself look chunky by not wearing my maternity pants.  I told her that I was a little embarrassed because I was really showing at only 3 months!  She told me that that was what happened on number 3 and that I should embrace the belly not try to hide it.

She was right.

I was just kidding myself.  I was looking like I was gaining back my hard earned lost weight instead of pulling my pregnancy card.

So here I am, feeling silly in my maternity clothes... but still looking a little cute I think!  What do you think?

I don't look 3 months do I?  Oh, well.  And NO I am NOT pushing out... I am actually, shamefully, sucking in...

I left the store with a couple new shirts (clearance items) a bunch of free stuff (Labor Day weekend sales and promos), and I even, much to my delight, found a modest, formal maternity dress for the Military Ball in November.  So this mama was one happy camper!!



Photobucket

12 comments:

Emily said...

Cat, I have the same problem with my number 3. I started showing at about 3 months or so. Wait till you get to 5 1/2 months!! At least maternity clothes are super comfortable and I found a new store here that has the CUTEST stuff so I feel better about myself even though I look overly round. No worries. It is what it is.

Ruth said...

Cute! I think it is better to look pregnant, when you than to not. Then it does not leave people wondering if they should ask you, if you are pregnant or not.

Britt said...

I think you look super cute. Lucky you. I just looked like a hug blob when I was preggos.

The Mom said...

You look so cute! Each pregnancy will cause you to show sooner. It's maddening! Here's something to make you smile. http://seemelaugh.blogspot.com/2010/09/parenthood-changes-everything.html

Tiffany J said...

You definitely look cute, and it's very clear that it's a prego belly, cuz you look great still!!

Lydia said...

You look great! Like everyone else said you show eariler with each pregnancy. I know I'm pregnant because my pants don't fit before I'm late. I love motherhood, pregnancy clothes have come so far and are much cuter then when I started having kids 14 years ago.

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

I still can't believe you lost nearly 100 pounds! That is freakin' RAD!!! And you look like one hot preggo mama!

Off topic: where do you live??? Your apartment walls and carpet look incredibly very much like the EXACT student housing we moved from 2 years ago. :)

amonkeyslife said...

Honey, I'm only on #2 and I was in maternity wear at 6 weeks (yay genetics!). This is AFTER not having to wear maternity clothes until 6 months in to the first! Ah well...it's life. I am my mother *sigh* (which means this baby is probably a boy lol)

You look adorable, really! And embrace the fact that you're showing. There's absolutely nothing bad/embarrassing about it! :-)

Becky in Wyo said...

I hope you have an awesome time enjoying this pregnancy in a healthier state than you probably were with your last one. I almost, almost, wish I was pregnant now that I've lost nearly 30 pounds, and am in such great shape. It would be a blast to enjoy pregnancy wearing "normal" maternity clothes. I was always two sizes too big for all the maternity clothes I saw. With my last one, it came down to sweats and big t-shirts. I just about wouldn't go out in public anymore.

Everyone is right!! You do look super-cute! Enjoy yourself!!

Jill said...

I started showing faster with my 3rd also. But I was grateful that the maternity clothes have gotten so much better since I had my last baby. No more gigantic panels that go up to your arm pits. I was pleasantly surprised. And you look great.

Jennie @ Modern Mamaz said...

I'm so excited for you! I'll bet it's a girl!!

Jennie @ Modern Mamaz said...

I'm so excited for you! I'll bet it's a girl!!