Saturday, August 28, 2010

Some Things are Better Not Knowing!

ESPECIALLY when your pregnant!

You can tell a lot about a person by what dressing they put on their salad.  I, myself, grew up a Ranch girl, along with my mom and sister.  My poor dad was of the Moldy Blue Cheese variety, and a bit of the black sheep of the gang.  My grandparents, on my dad's side, are Thousand Island people who wonder how the heck they gave birth and raised a Blue Cheese... I wonder the same thing.

I grew up thinking Italian dressing was only for pasta salads and Olive Garden... until I went to Italy and realized that there is a whole new world out there for Italian Dressing I didn't know about.

Now, I am a ranch girl because you can basically put it on ANYTHING!  Pasta, pizza, chicken nuggets, salad, rice... the list is endless!  I prefer to make it myself with ranch mix packets, because the preservatives in the bottle make me pucker.  But you will never open my fridge without seeing a bottle of homemade ranch nestled between the milk and the eggs.

These days my family has felt I betrayed them when I took a liking to Caesar.  There is something about it that just makes me want more!  Now, don't get me wrong, Caesar will never replace Ranch in my heart because let's face it, it only tastes the best on wraps or salads... you can't put Caesar on pizza and chicken nuggets and get the same effect!

The other day I was sitting outside with my friends when I mentioned that I was craving a big Caesar salad.  One of them asked: "Have you ever had it with fresh anchovies?"

"Oooo GROSS!" I said disgusted at such a thought.  Now, don't get me wrong, I love fish as much as the next person... but anchovies on a Caesar salad?  No way!

She started laughing.

"What?" I asked.

"Didn't you know that anchovies are one of the key ingredients to Caesar dressing?" she asked me nicely.

"You're kidding me?!  No way!"  I was feeling a little dumb, but even more grossed out.

"Yeah," she said. "Go look at the ingredients on the back."

I was pretty sure that my brand of Caesar was cheap enough to not have anchovies in the ingredients.  So before I checked, I made up a big salad and poured the dressing on.  It looked and smelt fabulous!  Then I checked the ingredients on the back...

Anchovies.

I looked longingly at my salad, and felt suddenly sad.  Could I possibly eat it now that I know?  It still tastes the same right?  That doesn't change.  So it shouldn't matter.  And it wouldn't have mattered if I wasn't pregnant.  But I am... and things like this get to me.

This time, the salad tasted like fish!  It was probably my imagination... but I couldn't help it!  I started gagging a little more with each bite.  After about 3 bites, I couldn't do it anymore.  It was like the time when I found out my favorite Mexican tacos were made out of cow tongue.  As much as I loved it, my mind wouldn't let me stomach it.

Oh well.

I'll try again after the baby is born.  Maybe I will have gotten over it by then.

Some things are better not knowing!


Photobucket  

6 comments:

Phannie said...

yeah, I'm pretty sure I didn't need to know that either.

Shan B. said...

That's funny. I wonder if I'll remember the next time I have a Caesar salad. I gotta check it out for myself too.

Cynthia said...

I've even made Caesar from scratch and had to add anchovie paste. I don't do fish pregnant or not so I didn't really enjoy it after I made it- but all those who didn't KNOW did! LOL!

It's Something Beautiful said...

Hmm I guess I never realized that anchovies were in ALL caesar dressings. I always just thought that higher end restaurants added them. Kinda makes me look at it differently... oh well! :) lol.

Ruth said...

When I was pregnant, there were 2 things I could not eat it was tuna and cheerios. Both of which I enjoy, when I am not pregnant.

amonkeyslife said...

Ugh...yeah, I didn't need to know that. Hopefully, I'll forget it the next time I make Caesar salad wraps for dinner. Might have to go back to being an Italian girl now...

(But OG sounds DELICIOUS. And you've just brought about another pregnancy craving...THANKS! :-P )