Thursday, August 26, 2010

I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant!

8 months pregnant with Sammy
There are many things I don't talk about on here.  Mostly because they are depressing... and I try to stay away from that sort of repertoire.  Sure I share an occasional bad day, but only the ones that I can look back on and laugh about some day.  But the struggle to get pregnant isn't something I think I will ever look back and laugh about.

We had been trying to get pregnant for about a year and a half now, and it just wasn't happening.  Which was hard for me because the first two times it was so easy for us.  We thought about having a baby and BAM we got one.  This time, though, thinking about it was just not enough.  Wanting it so bad we could barely stand it wasn't enough either.  But I tried really hard to have a good attitude and knew that it would happen when the time was right.

Back in June when we started the whole 120 mile challenge, I felt really good about my life and felt that I would spend more energy in changing myself for the better than worrying about things I have no control over.  Ben and I got so busy that we didn't have much time for intimacy due to lots of little sicknesses, work, vacations, stress, and school... So I figured that June was just a month off from worrying about getting pregnant or not because let's face it, it just wasn't happening for us in that department.  (By no choice of our own) But I was happy anyway.  I felt stress free and for the first time in a long time I wasn't counting days and obsessing over the calendar.  It was nice.

Then one day at the end of July I realized that it had been a while since my "time of the month."  I didn't think much of it but I thought I would just get it over with and take a pregnancy test.  Then I could just shrug and say better luck next month!

I took the test and set it by the bathtub.

Then I forgot about it for about 7 minutes.

When I went back to the bathroom to just throw it away... I already knew the answer... well, it was a good thing I took a second and looked... because I did a double take when I thought I saw the double line.  Yeah, I wasn't seeing double... I mean I was, but I wasn't!

What the?!  It couldn't be!  Oh. My. Gosh!  But impossible!  Wait... there was the one time... but no... I guess it only takes once... but the timing was wrong!  Oh my gosh, I'm pregnant!!  (little squeal with delight and dance of joy)

I've got to tell Ben!  How?!  I can't wait, but I want to be creative!  I looked around and found a little box with a lid and set the pregnancy test in it.  I couldn't wait to see his face!  I took it into the living room where he was absorbed in some cartoon with the boys and handed him the box.

Now men can really just suck the fun out of surprises sometimes.

"What's this?" He asked me dumbly.

"A box, duh, open it!"

"Why?"

"Oh good grief!!  Just open it!!"

He did.  And he just stared at it like he didn't get it.  I was grinning like a fool and he just sat there like a ninny.

"Well?! What do you think!?"

"I don't get it..."

"We're going to have a baby!!"  I blurted out.  I wasn't going to sit there and wait for him to read the instructions.

"What!?  Oh!!  The two lines, I get it!  Woo Hoo!"  I would have rolled my eyes and said something sarcastic and nasty, but I was just too happy!

Everything started making sense now.  My moodiness over the last month, loss of appetite in the morning, odd cravings, and bionic nose.  The funniest thing was that earlier that same day I was outside with a friend and I had rolled up my jeans to give my legs some sun and I noticed that my leg hair was only growing in one section.  I thought, "That's weird!  That only happens when I am pregnant."  And it didn't click!!!  Duh!  I also become stupider and blonder when I am pregnant... which is probably why I didn't figure it out sooner anyway.

So that's the story.  I decided not to tell anyone for a while because it had taken so long to happen, I just wanted to keep this secret dear to my heart to think about and soak up the joy on my own and with my family.  It was wonderful!

But now I am showing.

I'm in that "I don't look pregnant just fat" phase... I can't wait for rounding out so I don't feel so blah!

And my pride won't let people think I am just gaining back that weight I worked so hard to keep off!!!

Now, I got a ton of questions yesterday, so let me answer them to the best of my abilities.

No, I am not going to stop blogging.  "4 Nuts in a Nutshell" will be no more because it will be "5 Nuts in a Nutshell".  I tried to convey that in the pictures, but it was a little hard to do and I think I lost some on that one.  Sorry about that.  I also wanted to trick you a little, because it is no fun when people guess what you are going to say before you say it.  Know what I mean?

I am three months along.  And yes I did do 90% of the 120 miles pregnant.... which I have been secretly back patting myself all summer about.  ESPECIALLY the 5K at 7 weeks along.  Which is one of the reasons I didn't want to announce this until the end of the challenge.  I didn't want anyone to think I was rubbing it in their faces with the attitude "I did it pregnant, what's your excuse?"  -- You know me better than that right?  RIGHT?!  Of course you do.

Sorry to disappoint you, my dear friends, but I haven't been sick a day.  Not too hungry for breakfast.  Just a yogurt or some cereal and I am set.  The only times I got nauseous where when I had to climb up long flights of stairs... weird... maybe it's the change in altitude?  (I am seriously kidding, you know).

This pregnancy has been really different than my last two.  I would like to think it's because it might be a girl... but then again I am almost 100 pounds lighter than the last two times, and a heck of a fitter... so it could easily be attributed to that too.  But we'll see come Oct...

I'm just tired.  That's all.  You may have noticed my lack of funniness this summer... well, that's because I am moody and tired.  But the first trimester is just about over so hopefully more of my old self will be back!

Now, where did I put that watermelon?!

Photobucket

8 comments:

Jill said...

I am SO happy for you guys. Our third was hardest to come by as well. I got pregnant right away with the first two.

A girl would be so much fun for you. But boys are good, too. I'm glad you've been feeling well. You look great!! Good luck to no sickness in the future. :)

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

SOOOOOOOOO awesome!!! And how lucky not to be sick! WOW! Our first was WAY easy but the next 2 were also hard for us. What a great surprise! LOVE this post!!!

Ruth said...

What is funny is that the more kids I have had the more likely to know that I am pregnant soon after it happened. Like that magical moment, I know it seems weird. But that ship has sailed. I am okay with that. I hope your pregnancy continues to be smooth! I am excited for you and can not wait to find out what you are having!!!

Britt said...

I am glad to hear that you are feeling so well. I had a hard time getting pregnant with my 2nd. I know how depressing that can be.

Krystal said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! That is SO exciting!!!! And most of your post gave me chills!!! So the e-mail I sent you last week...you were probably laughing at me huh?!

Tobi said...

Awesome that exercise while you were pregnant. I'm so glad that you were able to get pregnant and that you are doing so well.

jordan @ mean mommy academy said...

Congratulations!!! This is awesome news... wishing you the BEST of luck!

Catherine said...

I am so stoked for you and Ben! After I lost 40 lbs and kept it off for 3 years, it felt so good to stick to my healthy lifestyle changes and only gain 20 lbs this pregnancy. And since our baby is due any day, I am already planning some fun ways to slim down and tone up again. Wahoo! And I KNOW you will be the same. You have kicked butt this year, Cat, and been such an inspiration to us all. And I know you will continue to be!