Saturday, July 3, 2010

Oh, Yes, I Can!

Don't ever allude to the fact that I might not be able to do something.  Because it makes me all that more determined to do it!  And not only will I do it, but I will drag my family out on the journey so we can accomplish it together!

The Wind Caves...

Sounds awesome doesn't it?  Well it is!

But it is a 1.8 mile hike up a mountain side on a very thin trail.  By the time you get to the top, the uphill was worth the trip, even if you are carting two kids with you under the age of 5.

Earlier this week, I had a good friend tell me they gave it a good try but could only make it half the way up due to a bunch of factors.  I asked her if she thought we could do it.  She said:  "Ben could probably do it, but..." I could fill in the blanks and I sat up a little straighter.  What is she saying?

All week I stewed in the fact that there was a trail out there to some cool caves and I might not be able to do it... errkk... I can do anything I set my mind to right?  RIGHT?!  Okay, so I can up with a plan.  There was no way in heck I wasn't going to give it a go.  So I did some research online -- I couldn't find much, but they say it is an "Intermediate" level hike and all right for kids.  Okay, we were going to do it.

So up we went early this afternoon, armed with our camelbaks and granola bars.  We found the trail head, parked and off we went.  And it wasn't that bad.  Even the kids did pretty darn good!  A few times they took turns riding on our shoulders for a little break, but the majority of the hike they walked.

The day was gorgeous and the views were awesome!!
Here I am doing the Little Mermaid pose on a huge rock.  Ben cut it out of the picture... thus making the pose just look stupid instead of my intended funny.
I may look tough here but I was swaying with vertigo.  I am terrified of heights and this hike really pushed those fears to the limits.  But I loved it all the same.

Like I said, the day and the views were breathtaking!!

Everyone we passed going up were liars.  "You're almost there!" They would say... but we weren't usually too close.

Finally we made it up the mountain to the caves and all in all the hike wasn't too hard... and the view at the end made the climb worth it!
















The moral of this story:  Don't let anyone tell you you might not be able to do something... just get out and do it!



Photobucket

8 comments:

Guilty Mother said...

Awesome pics Cat, well done you and yours it certainly looked like it was worth it... Oooh how I wish it was warm and sunny here in Wintery New Zealand

Cynthia said...

I did 4 years at USU and NEVER made it to the wind caves. Gotta rectify that situation! We are so totally going to do that this summer! Thanks for the inspiration. We call outings like that 'Adventure Days' and this sounds like the perfect one for my kids.

Also- you might want to take your boys down to the Lavender Festival this week in Mona. The lavender fields are all purple right now and it's an AWESOME (inexpensive) adventure with all sorts of good stuff to do. It's held at Young Living Farm and entry is free. There is a small fee to ride the horse carriage if you want to but otherwise- free!

Cammy said...

Cat,
Way to go and I must say you are looking fabulous! Such fun pictures too. Reminds me I need to plan a few family hikes before summer is over. Eek, I can't believe it is already July.

Maranda said...

Good for you!! I'm like that too. Don't you dare tell me I can't do something because it will be my life's mission to prove you wrong!

You look amazing by the way! And I totally got The Little Mermaid pose. It was great!

Congrats for making it to the top! The pictures are stunning!

Amanda said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun. The little mermaid pic is classic...I don't know if I would be brave enough to post it though. Unless you tell me I can't. Haha

Ana said...

I have been staring at these pics trying to figure out why it all looks familiar, and finally realized this is the cave we hiked to while I was a freshman in college. I do remember it being a somewhat tough hike, but very doable especially if you've been working out (which I wasn't doing much of at the time, ha!). Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

Jill said...

What a gorgeous day for you guys!! Glad you did it. The pictures are awesome.... especially the Little Mermaid one! :)

Amy said...

That's beautiful!! Wow, I haven't seen anything that beautiful in a long time.. it has been forever since I have hiked!YOu guys look great, good for you for getting out and getting healthy! :)