Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Every Milestone a Miracle

One thing that having Sam has taught me, is to never, ever take any growing moments for granted.

I hear mom's talking casually about what there kids were up to like it was no big deal, but I always think: "Wow if I saw Sam do that, we would be celebrating!!"

Having a son with special needs has made me a better person. Sometimes I think that Sammy was sent to us more for our growth than for his!  He has taught me that every little thing in life is a gift... cherish every moment, and always believe in miracles.

Sure it hurts when people frown when I tell them how old Sammy is.  They can't seem to understand that he is almost 5 and talks like a 3 year old.  I get a lot of pity, and "I'm sorry"s.  When really, I am the one who pities them.  I feel bad for the people who don't get to be a part of a world like Sam's.  Because in Sam's world, everything is beautiful!

This week, I celebrate the fact that Sammy drew his first animal!!  He has been drawing people for the last few months, but nothing else.  Not like the kids his age.  But the other day he came running up to me after church holding this out proudly for me to see:

He was positively beaming when he told me it was a zebra (his new favorite movie is Racing Stripes).  I had to hold back the tears.  The people around me didn't understand when I showed them Sam's work and bragged it to high heaven.  They gave me the look like: "Really?  My kid is drawing houses, and families, and Jesus and they actually LOOK like them".  I felt sad for them... but only for a moment, I was just too blasted happy for Sam!

This picture is definitely making the wall!!  And once again, Sammy makes my world a little more beautiful.


Photobucket
PS-- He drew this for "Daddy" -- he wrote "Daddy" backwards on the bottom.

8 comments:

Missy said...

That is such a cute drawing!

Heidi said...

That is so awesome!! Way to go Sammy!

Alicia said...

Thanks for sharing that with us! That was such a beautiful post.

Jill said...

That is so awesome Cat! Mason can't draw. He barely holds a pencil.

It is interesting that you post about this. I actually had a similar thing this past couple of weeks.

I was visiting family and there was a 3 year old and the 2 year old. I was amazed at how they understood what I was saying and how well they talked. Then it hit me. I just have gotten so used to my little boy's issues.

It made me appreciate the wonderful growth he has had over the last few years. Parents need to appreciate even the smallest milestones. With my new baby I am much more keenly aware of all of those.

Blessings come in interesting ways sometimes. And we are grateful. :)

Amanda said...

That's obviously a zebra! Check out the stripes, stubby tail and cool little nose! Way to go Sam!

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

I love this post and I love your perspective!! What a cute zebra! :)

Our Family said...

Great drawing, Sam! I love the stripes!

Otter Thomas said...

Beautiful post. You and Sammy share a beautiful outlook on life as well.