Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Shoes

You know, it's one thing to walk into a shoe store and fork over 60 bucks for a new pair of shoes, knowing that they are not only going to last a long time, but be comforted in the knowledge that you really are getting what you are paying for.  I mean, who wants to run in a pair of Walmart $12??  Or hike in Payless $20?  Not me!

Sure, we all love to pop on over to Payless to get their sandals that we know will only last through THIS summer, but then again, $12.99 isn't going to break the bank.

Then there are kid's shoes...

Who in their right mind wants to pay $40 for a pair of shoes their kid is going to grow out of in a month or two!?  With the economy the way it is!? Good grief! You have probably guessed that I ventured out for the first time in a couple of weeks to get some shopping done today. I wouldn't have bothered, but you know it's time to get your wee ones new shoes when their toes are either curled up in the ends, or they curl over the front of their sandals. We were lucky to have both. Poor little chaps.

So off we went to the first stop. They had a sale. Buy one pair, get the 2nd half off... sounds good right? Until you peek in and the shoes range from $25 (the ugly ones) to $65 (super cool cosmic ones with flashing lights). My boys went from a size 8 to a 10 in 5 months! There was no flipping way I was going to fork out the big ones to get them name brand whatits when they will be too small in a month or two. I always buy them bigger, but still, the thought of Sammy wearing $60 on his feet gives me the heebie-jeebies! The sales guy tried to talk me into buying them anyway, and I finally told him that I couldn't afford it, unless the shoes actually grow with the feet and can repair themselves... or better yet, do they make you invisible?  Or give you a super power? Then, perhaps, I might consider it...

Knowing I wasn't willing to pay it, we then went to Payless... Walmart was NOT an option -- those shoes don't last a month on my kids! Not that Payless is much better in the quality department, but they seem to last longer for us. Of course, though, the boys feel in love with the most expensive pair they had: Buzz Lightyear shoes with flashing lights and laser beams! Okay, so their aren't any lasers, I may have exaggerated a bit -- but they should! And, unfortunately, they weren't on sale either... but, luckily, they were still less expensive then the last place.

So off we went, happy as pie. I was pleased with myself for making it through the whole experience, and the boys were walking on air in their new flying shoes (okay, they don't fly either).

Then we got home...

And Nephi blew chunks all over his new shoes.

You can't win them all...

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Yay for saving money! I love finding deals. It has become one of my new obsessions. Even though those shoes weren't on sale, they were still cheaper! whoohoo!

elelves said...

adidas shoes and nike dunk shoes
http://www.footbing.com

Tobi said...

My problem is refraining from buying my kids shoes. They have too many pairs of shoes and of every variety. I think oh if I just buy them this pair then they won't need anymore for the season. Until I go to the next store and see another pair of shoes I think they can't live without. It's a problem. Is there a Shoes Anonymous now?