Wednesday, May 19, 2010

My Chili Recipe

Now, when I started this blog, it was never meant to be a recipe exchange blog. However, once in a while I come up with something super yummy, and just HAVE to share. This is one of those days!

Here is a little background for this recipe: I have been to several chili cookouts in my lifetime, and the cook side of me can't help but think with every bite, "I would have added this" or "I wouldn't have put this in and changed this..." but the whole time never having the desire to try it.  So, this rainy season I decided that I was going to make up my own yummy tummy chili recipe and it was going to be like none other (that I know of) so here it is!


Cat's South-Western Chili with Brown Rice

Ingredients:
4 Tablespoons of olive oil
1 lb of ground beef (or ground turkey is good too)
Salt and pepper
½ of a lg. onion (or whole small onion) finely chopped
1 jalapeno pepper (or a spoonful of the nacho jalapeno slices), finely chopped
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 ½ teaspoons of ground cumin
1 ½ teaspoons of dried oregano
½ teaspoon of dried basil
One 28 oz can of diced tomatoes (or two 14.5 oz cans)
1 ½ cups of chicken broth (I used chicken bullion broth)
¾ cup brown rice
1 can of Black Beans (15oz)
1 (11 oz) can of Green Giant Nibblet corn (Other corn can be used too, but this is my favorite)
Optional: chopped cilantro, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, sliced scallions, chopped avocado and/or hot pepper sauce, for toppings.

Directions:
1. In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons (3 if you are using ground turkey) olive oil over medium heat. Add the beef (turkey) and cook, breaking it up, until browned, 7-10 min. Season with salt and pepper; using a slotted spoon, transfer the turkey to a plate.
2. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the pot and stir in the onion and jalapeno; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, basil and oregano and cook for 1 min more. Stir in the tomatoes and their juice, the chicken bullion and 2 cups of water, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the rice and ½ teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover and simmer for 35 min. Stir in the beef, beans and corn; cover and cook until rice is tender, 30-35 min. Season with salt and pepper.


Serve with some of the toppings.



Pictured above is avocado chunks, sour cream and cheese.

Note: I think this would be fabulous in a bread bowl or with corn chips or fritos!


2 comments:

Tobi said...

I eat Chili at least once a month. I can't wait to try this recipe.

Wendy said...

Okay that recipe looks so good!! I'll have to try that for sure. And it almost looks thick enough that you could throw it into a tortilla shell and eat it like a burrito!! Yum. I need some food to eat.