Thursday, May 20, 2010

Literally Lost without Us!!


For the last 5 and half years I have been married, the question that pops into my head the most often is: "How did my husband survive 22 years of his life without me?" or in other words: "How did he even function without my wisdom, hand to hold, and above all, my cooking!?"

I have been really anxious these last few days since I was informed that Ben would be going on his first "business trip" for the company that he works for. His job was to go out in the middle of a southern Utah desert, all by himself, in a SUV rental, set up a bunch of GPS equipment and monitor the data being taken from the Brad, the mechanical engineer, flying up in a plane scanning the desert. It doesn't seem so bad... until I found out that Ben decided it would be easier not to stay in a hotel, to just sleep out in the desert for a few nights and "survive." This makes me a little nervous...

First off, even though he is an Eagle Scout, Ben's idea of "surviving" is having to eat Roman noodles for two days in a row.

Enough said. I know you women out there know what I am talking about.

So yesterday when he headed out for his 9 hour drive, I was a little on edge.

And my anxiety just grow as the hours passed.

So you could say I was more than a nervous wreak when Ben called at 1 in the morning announcing that his directions were bad and that he was lost in the desert. Now, he would never openly admit this... you know men... it's always someone else's fault when they get lost. This time it was Mr. Google's fault for letting Ben down. How devastating...

Ironically enough, it was Google and a smart wife that ended up saving him. I got on my computer, found out where he was, and guided him to his "way station" along the dirt roads to nowhere.

Now, what would have happened had he not had a wife?

Let's go back to my question at the first: "How do our husbands survive without us?"

Well, all I can say is, that's why God gave men moms first!

4 comments:

Otter Thomas said...

I went 10 years between mom and wife. I have no idea how I managed. I can cook. That's not the problem. It is all the other stuff.

If I have learned anything from Bear Grylls and Les Stroud about desert survival it is water is key. As long as Ben has water he will be fine. It doesn't hurt that he has you on the speed dial either.

DaveandRuth said...

My husband is going to spend the next 3 years going to Law School Idaho without us. I am certain he will do just fine.

Jill said...

I have a neighbor who teases her husband all the time about how he survived without her between leaving home and getting married.

I don't know if you've ever noticed, but usually when the spouse of an older couple dies.... the woman can usually manage okay. It is the man that has difficulty managing life after she's gone. It is just in our female nature to nurture and take care of things. I almost wonder if we make them this way.... dependent on us. It is always nice to be needed. :)

Glad Ben had you to guide him. You're a great team.

Guilty Mother said...

My husband travelled around Nepal, India and Mexico before he met me; I can't find my way out of a car park without a good map.