Tuesday, April 13, 2010

One of the World's Wonders: Mickey Ears

I am a firm believer that when at Disneyland, you can act as old or as young as you want. There is no age limit for wearing anything you can buy there as long as it fits... well, I take that back, I did see a rather big child (12 or 13) squeezed into a little girl princess dress. But aside from that, there are no rules to fashion in Disneyland. Period.

However, me being me, I can't help but giggle a little when I see a grown man wearing a goofy hat, or a tattoo covered biker babe wearing Mickey Ears.  It just really tickles my funny bone.

Last time I went to Disneyland, about 6 years ago, there weren't many Mickey Ears bobbing around in the crowds.  I mean there were, we are talking about Disneyland, but just in the last few years they have come out with Mickey Ear styles for every kind of person out there: princess ears, bride and groom ears, tie-dyed ears, ears with hats, bows, and earrings even!  So instead of 1 out of every ten people sporting Disneyland hats 6 years ago, 8 out of every ten are now wearing them around the park.

Now, this is the wonder to me.  If you are willing to spend 20-70 bucks on a Mickey Ear hat, how come you don't wear it around AFTER your Disneyland trip?  Seriously!  Have you ever noticed that?  I mean, how many of us see people in the mall or at the grocery store, or even the Library sporting the pricey ears.  Not me.  Not ever...

It's a sad thing that the ears get shoved back into a closet never to be worn again.

So... why not...?

If you have ears, pull them out and wear them around.  You paid for them right?  Come on... I DARE you!

What?  It's uncool?  Come on folks, you forked out the bucks, and they were cool at Disneyland, why not at the local high school football game?

This is one of the reasons I just couldn't bring myself the don the ears.  Nope, I just couldn't do it...  Mickey ears just aren't ME.  Know what I mean?

Even the shirts were too much for my sense of style.  I'm not really a flashy dresser, and I don't like people looking at my chest... it's a little weird to me...

But late on night at Disneyland I found a shirt that screamed ME!  I had to get it...  And guess what?  I didn't see anyone else in the same shirt the whole time we were there!!  Score 10 for me!

Ben even found a hat he liked that yelled "macho"...
It was a great day for men everywhere when Disneyland introduced the Indiana Jones ride... and all the cool stuff you can buy...

And for the kids, we bought Wal-mart Buzz Light-Year hat before we left.  They lite up, too.  People were asking us all the time what store we bought them in and were totally disappointed when we told them. 

The great thing about Disneyland is that there is something for everyone!  And like I said before, there are no rules in Disneyland... so dare to be a kid!




4 comments:

Our Family said...

I think you found the perfect shirt. I'm glad you guys had such a good time. I love the idea of buying Disney stuff for the kids BEFORE you get there...then pulling it out in the theme park where the prices are crazy.

Hannah said...

We are packing up the car today for our Disneyland adventure this week! Thanks for sharing some of yours with us.

Shan B. said...

So...so...so true about the Mickey ears. At least my kids do wear their's around from time to time. My boys actually wear the Indiana Hats more than anything. I bought a headband with Minnie ears on it on my last trip & on the last day my bro-in-law said...I gotta give it to ya for STILL sporting the headband. It was fun but Not sure I can just wear them around town...next trip I'll already have them...I ♥ Disneyland!!!

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

I loooooooooooove Disneyland!!!!!!! And guess what!?!?! My hubby bought that same Indiana Jones hat when we were there for our anniversary in January because he was still SO devastated that he didn't get it when we went last August! He loooooooves it!!!