Wednesday, March 17, 2010

So Pinch me!

I have always thought St.Patrick's Day was a bit pointless. I mean what are we celebrating really? I just don't get it? Maybe it is just an excuse to have a little fun... I don't know. Then again, maybe I just don't like it because I was traumatized as a child. I won't go into the whole story... okay, maybe I will. I'll tell it in a nutshell, anyway.

When I was like 8 or 9, my mom thought it would be cool to color my hair green for the big day. I was super shy, and didn't like a lot of attention drawn to me, so basically, the whole green hair thing wasn't a good plan. To make a long story short, the kids made fun of me, I cried a lot, and spent most of the day with my hoodie on. I was traumatized... and to make things worse, my mom thought it was hilarious that I was so serious about it all and to this day, not a St. Patty's Day goes by that she doesn't remind me of the green hair episode... got to love moms! I give her a break though, because I know I will probably do it to my kids too some day!

This year, I make sure my boys wore green, because, as I explained above, other kids can get pretty vicious when it comes to searching out those unfortunate ones that forgot to wear green. I know because I used to be one of them. I loved pinching people. Who doesn't? It's just too fun!

Anyway, I just didn't want to make a big fuss about it this year.

So in my little protest I wore yellow instead.

Yep, I know, what a rebel!

The funny thing was, that not one person tried to pinch me. One of my friends pointed out that I wasn't sporting Green, but she didn't pinch me. Maybe she is afraid I would kick her trash... haha... okay, maybe not. I'm not a very scary person.

Then again, with all this sexual harassment stuff going on, people are probably afraid of being sued, fired, or arrested for pinching those of us who are less festive. Non-Festive peeps probably lack a good sense of humor anyway...

So where's my pinch then?

(Note to Ben: Grabbing and groping don't count!)

4 comments:

DaveandRuth said...

St. Patrick's Day celebrates, St. Patrick comig to Ireland and saving the people from all the bad choices they were making at the time. It is a big holiday in the Catholic church. I hope you have a wonderful Friday!

Anonymous said...

If memory serves me well and it does this time, the school called me and I had to go pick you up and take you home. We washed it out and you were good to go.

Tammy said...

When my daughter got home from school and saw that I wasn't wearing green, she got creative. She got the green gift tissue out of an old gift bag and put it on me like a hat. Of course, i found this very irritating, but you have to give her points for being creative.

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

HAHAH, totally!!!!!!!! My hubby and I are both Irish but I kept thinking as I was doing all those random green things yesterday, "What is the point??" Too funny! Just for good times, I guess even though sure, it has it's purposes somewhere, we American's celebrate it WEIRD!