Friday, February 5, 2010

A Trip to the ER

So our little "sickness" turned out to be a little more for my little Nephi. Sammy and I took it fine, but not Nephi.

I kept Sam home from school, because of his cough, and Nephi spent more of the day camped out on the couch drinking juice and eating Speghetti'o's. I knew he wasn't feeling well until late last night, about 9:30ish I was finishing up some cleaning, when he woke up struggling for air. The sound he was making was horrendous! Having dealt with RSV a few times with Sam, I knew some of the danger signs, and Nephi was putting off all sorts of red lights.

Sam was asleep, so I made a few phone calls to friends to come sit at my house so I could take Nephi in to the ER. I hate calling people late at night... REALLY hate it! But I didn't know what else to do! Sam would have been a nightmare, and dragging to kids out late at night... you know what I am talking about...

So I got my friend to come sit and watch TV, I bundled Nephi up and off we went.

The people at the ER were great. They knew right off what he had and acted right on it. He has the Croup... a bad case. His throat/ vocal chords were extremely swollen making it hard for him to breath. They put him on a breathing machine where he breathed in some kind of steroid and they gave him a shot of another kind. He had a fever of 104 when we got there, so they gave him some Tylenol and Ibuprofen.

After the treatments we had to hang around for 90 min so they could watch and observe to see if he needed more. But he seemed to perk right up as he was able to breath better.

We finally got home a little before midnight, and we were both totally pooped out!!

I just wanted to get this posted, before I hit the sack.

7 comments:

DaveandRuth said...

I hope he is feeling better. Having sick kids is not fun at all.

Bridget said...

I'm glad that he's doing a little better and I hope that he feels okay today. I'm so sorry that he got that sick!

The Mom said...

How scary! I am glad he is feeling better. Take a nap today!

Jill said...

How scary! My SIL had this happen to her about 3 weeks ago. It is so scary as a mother to see you child in that condition. Hope he gets better soon for his sake and yours. Good luck.

Emily said...

Cat that's super scary!! I would have immediately panicked and if my husband had been gone I probably would have called 911 and started mouth to mouth. I don't handle situations like that well so KUDOS to you for being so levelheaded!! I bet it's hard doing it by yourself and just as hard for Ben to hear about what happens, such as this, and not be there to help!! Only a few more weeks right?!? Good luck to you and Sam in getting better and mucho love and luck to Nephi too!!

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Oh dear, poor little buddy!!! What a sweetheart, that is scary!

Kelly Dawn said...

doncha just love late night emergency room trips - and I STILL feel so helpless when mine are sick even tho they are 18 17 and 14....it sucks....Austin is 14 and he was running 102 fever last night and he slept in our bed cause daddy had to work all night - first time in forever - of course i had to sleep in sweats and a tshirt...lol...but he was sick and hot and fevery :( I so hope Nephi is feeling better now :)