Friday, February 26, 2010

Fat Butt Friday: "Pretty Woman" Moments


I don't care what people say. I know for a fact that people treat thinner people different than they treat heavier ones. When I was really big, I would tell some of my friends or acquaintances that I was often ignored in stores by salespeople and not many of them really believed me. I had one friend tell me that it was just in my head.

I know it wasn't.

When I tell them how things are different now, they say it is just because I have more confidence in myself that people notice me more. But to tell you the truth, I have always been a little on the cocky side. It's my "red" personality, you know the "first born" bossy-we-run-the-world attitudes. Yeah, somethings just never change about us... I admit that I AM more confident because I am happy about myself, but even when I was heavy I liked attention and didn't shirk in the corner.

I know it isn't in my head.

People really DO treat overweight people differently.

Remember that part in Pretty Woman when Richard Gere gives Julia Roberts that wad of cash to go shopping, and she goes into that posh store and they are rude to her because she is isn't dressed like she has money? Remember that part? I think it is the one part I remember the best. Mainly because then she goes to a store that treats her right and makes her over. Afterwords, looking all posh, she returns to the first store and they don't recognize her. They all run over to help her now, and she says the famous line: "Remember me? I was here yesterday and you wouldn't wait on me. You work on commission right? BIG mistake,big, HUGE!"

Well, sometimes I feel a bit like Julia Roberts in that movie.

Now, people weren't always openly rude (well, aside from a handful of haters), but they pretty much avoided me sometimes. Mostly, I think, they didn't want to be the ones to tell me that they didn't carry my size. What they didn't know was that I was shopping for Ben, not me, and I really could have used some help.

One time, when I was pushing 300 pounds, I walked into American Eagle to look at some jeans for Ben. Emphasis on look. I was the only one in the store aside from a group of salespeople. They saw me and looked away. No one would come over and ask if I needed help... they just pretended like I wasn't there.

And people wondered why I often said I felt invisible sometimes!

I walked over and said, "Excuse me, I could use some help." The men pretended I wasn't there, and one of the girls looked flustered. I then asked about the men's pants and she started stuttering. "You know what?" I finally said, "Don't worry about it, I'll go somewhere else." And I did. They didn't even try to stop me...

Fast forward 10 months or so.

I am really good at faces, I think it is my artist side, but I recognized some of the same salespeople when I walked in American Eagle a few weeks ago for the first time since the weight loss. Let me tell you! THERE WAS A DIFFERENCE! I wasn't the only one in the store this time, and stutter girl from the year before was now a new person and came right up to me and asked if I needed help. You know, smiles and all.

I remembered my good friend, Julia Roberts. I just didn't have the stomach to buy anything there... So I just smiled and said I just didn't see anything that perked my interest and left.

I was a bundle of mixed emotions. I was flattered, but seething angry for all my kindred spirits out there who haven't yet figured out their bodies and struggle just like I did. We all want to be treated like human beings, no matter what we look like!

I wanted to share one more story, but this is getting too long and I am sure you get my point. So this ends here. BUT I would really like to hear your thoughts and experiences! So leave us a comment!

Weekly Stats

Starting weight: 279 lbs

Weight last week: 194 lbs
Total loss up until then: 85 lbs
Weight Today: 194 lbs
Lost this week: 0 lbs

Total loss: 85 pounds
Goal weight: 179 (My hundred pound mark)

You may notice that I have been maintaining the last couple weeks. It isn't because I WANT to, but my body has said, "Wow, 85 pounds is a lot of weight, PLEASE give me some time to recover!!" So that's what's happening. I have been losing some inches though. I think I have been building some muscle and firming up a bit. My friends have been telling me how great my butt looks. LOL. What are friends for huh?? Maybe I will have to change this to "Firm Butt Friday"... haha

For those of you who are new to Fat Butt Friday click here! For those of you joining in, don't forget to leave us your link, so we can come over and cheer you on!!!

4 comments:

Kathie @ Just a Happy Housewife said...

I think you're right and it's not in your head. My theory has always been that people treat people they find attractive better (so the weight issue comes into play there)....especially men.

Have a great weekend! :-)

DaveandRuth said...

I love the movie Pretty Woman!!!!!

The Mom said...

I like firm butt Friday! People definitely treat fat people differently. You don't understand until you have been in that position.

Badger Mom said...

You are absolutely right. Overweight people are treated differently. You can't just point to lack of confidence as a factor for being ignored because a lot of the time (in stores, etc.), you're preoccupied with looking at a clothes rack. Is there a confident way to slide clothes across the metal bar?

I say overweight up above because I don't even think you need to be considered fat or obese. I was on the chubby side and I still got treated a heck of a lot differently than I do now that I've lost only 15 pounds or so.