Friday, February 12, 2010

Fat Butt Friday: If I Can Do It...

Sometimes, I feel like I am a fisher. You know, not the type that fishes for fish, but for compliments. The funny thing is, I'm really not. Sure it is great to get pats on the back for my hard work, and makes me feel really good about my accomplishments. But the real reason I am doing Fat Butt Friday, is not only to keep holding myself accountable for the weight, but I really, REALLY want to show my fellow weight loss pals out there, that if I can do it... so can you!!

A little recap about my weight loss struggle:

I have struggled with obesity my whole life. Even as a little girl I was a little on the chubby side. And let me tell you, other kids can be REALLY mean. But I had a great, loving family that taught me good eating habits and the importance of exercise.

But it was really frustrating when those things stopped helping me, especially after having two kids. For two years after Nephi was born, I attended the gym almost daily, and ate what the health professionals told me too. I tried Atkins, South Beach, Dr. Phil, and other fad diets that just didn't work! Talk about frustrating!!! It just wasn't fair! I hated to see others lose weight for doing less than what I was doing.

It had come to a point where I decided that I just had to accept the fact that I was fat, and I would just have to live with it! And that hurt, really bad. Especially, when people were so mean sometimes. I would walk into a store that I KNEW didn't carry my size, but I was shopping for Ben, and I felt like crying when I watched as the sales people disappeared and avoided me. I can't really blame them, I would hate to tell someone that we didn't carry their size...

Now, I walk into a store and they materialize out of no where to help me... it's so weird! It's like I have suddenly become visible after a long time being invisible.

Anyway, I can write a whole book about my struggle and how I finally found out what worked for me, but I won't bore you to tears! However, if you do want to know what I have been doing you can check out this post here.

There are a few minor changes to my plan. I do let myself eat fruity snacks between meals and/or a handful of fish crackers every now and then. I also don't eat after 7 pm. I have started running a mile once a week, and LOVE my new Wii program, Gold's Gym Cardio Workout!

The biggest key to my diet is to keep the fats AND the carbs limited, but eat lots of fruits and veggies!! And drink A LOT of water... try 100 oz a day! If you start plateauing, change up what you are eating and try a harder, more challenging workout.

Just remember, there was a time I almost gave up and tried to accept that I would never be thin... but it really doesn't have to be that way! Hang in there, try some new things, and keep going. I refused to give up, and you shouldn't either!! Whether it's just 5 pounds you want to lose or 100, you can do it!


Oh, and I found this horrid picture of me before Ben left last June... and I swore that no one would ever see it. But I think it really illustrates how happy I am about myself now (the 2nd picture)... hehe.
Weekly Stats

Starting weight: 279 lbs

Weight last week: 197 lbs
Total loss up until then: 82 lbs
Weight Today: 194 lbs
Lost this week: 3 lbs

Total loss: 85 pounds
Goal weight: 179 (My hundred pound mark)

For those of you who are new to Fat Butt Friday click here! For those of you joining in, don't forget to leave us your link, so we can come over and cheer you on!!!

6 comments:

Lydia said...

Thanks for doing FBF I enjoy reading someone else that is struggling and doing it. I know it is difficult but worth it. Thanks for the inspiration to do a little more.

Cynthia said...

Woot WOo! You keep at it, you're looking great. We are about the same weight now (I am spinning my wheels). It was such a big deal the first time I could walk into the 'regular' department or buy a pair of pants off the table at Costco. Simple, stupid things to other people but such a big deal to those of us who have struggled so much with weight.

If you want an amazing book to read, check out "Burn the Fat, Keep the Muscle" by Tom Venuto. Best ever!

Catherine Anne said...

Thats great! It is so hard to loss the weight. Im so happy for you. I have lost 5 now and need to loss 45 more. Thanks for this

Melanni said...

I stopped blogging for a while but just caught up on your blog and am so amazed by your FBF success! Way to go!

roxxyroller said...

You look so awesome! Congrats on your huge weight loss accomplishment!

Hugs,
Heather from Hot Canada Deals

http://hotcanadadeals.ca/

heart.chyx said...

OMG ! You looks so amazing ..
how i wish i can be like you, Im 22 years old from philippines and i weigh 200 pounds ..
reading your blogs makes me inspired to loose weight ,
but i really dont know how to start :( spexialy when my mom cooks my fsavorite foods