Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Deep Cleaning...

At this point, I would like you to imagine fanfare music playing and me marching bags and bags to the trash proudly! Don't forget to imagine my pink fluffy slippers either, because I was so wearing them today.

I figured I have a little over a week to prepare for Ben's homecoming. Last night as I lay in bed thinking about everything I want to do before he gets home, it hit me that this was the perfect chance to get rid of all of Ben's stuff I don't want around anymore. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a controlling wife or anything, I let Ben have most of his crap stuff as long as he puts it away and I don't have to look at it.

Yet...

There are a few things I just can't handle.

One of these things are these lovelies:I still remember the day he came home proud as pie with this purchase...

Ben: You won't BELIEVE what I found on clearance for, get THIS, a DOLLAR!

Me (not paying much attention anyway): Hmm... that's great sweetie...

Ben pulling the shoes out of the bag: Ta Da!!!!

Me trying to conceal horror: Oh, boy! Just a dollar?! Wow... (They should have paid you to take them!)

Ben hurried to try them on for me. I couldn't help but ask myself, "How old is this man I married? Three or Seventy?"

Ben: Don't they look AWESOME! And they feel so comfortable! I can't wait to wear them to school and work.

Me: Oh, you are planing to wear them outside the house?

Ben clueless: Duh, wear else would I wear them? You know they had a few more pairs in my size of other colors... dang I should have bought those too! I can still go back...

Me thinking fast: Oh, no, that's okay... let someone else have a chance to purchase such a find. Besides I think one pair is enough... (MORE than enough...)

I just didn't have the heart to tell him how I really felt about those shoes. I just swallowed my pride as he paraded around in them for a few months, just praying that no one noticed my husband's shoes were bigger versions of my toddlers'.

Hope he isn't too upset when he reads this and finds out it is too late to save them...

Just think, Sweetheart, some old guy is going to be really happy to find those shoes at the second hand store!

9 comments:

Kelly Dawn said...

oh hell - dont give them to the second hand store - go straight to the homeless shelter with them - cause that would be the only person who would appreciate them :) my daddy has a pair and he is 67 and he bought my 15 year old son a pair - i freecycled them :)

DaveandRuth said...

Those are my grandpa's shoes!!!

Clare said...

This really made me laugh. Is he going to be upset with you? hehe

Bridget said...

That is hilarious! The sad thing is that Justin is probably the one in our relationship that wishes he could declutter my stuff. Those are pretty sweet shoes, though...

Tobi said...

The closer we get to our big move to Colorado the more I am anticipating throwing my husbands stuff away or giving it to the Salvation Army. He has clothes from HIGH SCHOOL! He can't wear them anymore but he keeps them....you know just in case. UGH! I can't wait to kiss his clutter goodbye!

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Hahahaha, oh man, you are so funny! And those shoes really ARE totally Mr. Roger's shoes, he should give them back! :)

Ana said...

Haha! You have just highlighted one of my favorite parts of deployment.

Amber Lynae said...

This is so fun..... it is giving me all kinds of ideas on the things that might disappear while my husband is away.

Anny said...

HeHeHe! I can totally imagine how excited he was when he brought those home. :)