Saturday, January 9, 2010

Sammy's Self Portrait... and Other Artistic Expressions

When the boys locked themselves in their room yesterday evening, and they were being so good in there playing, I took the opportunity to clean up the living room. So not to disturb them, I piled their toys in front of their door, so I could do the big shove when the rest of the room was put back together.

Feeling pretty pleased with myself after accomplishing a clean living room so early in the evening, I open the door to the boys room, shoved their toys in, and much to my delight, this is the scene I was greeted with:Sam was particularly proud of this piece, he entitled: "Big Sam" ("Baby Sam", course being Nephi)If you look close you can see his eyes, nose, mouth, and little body. I love the fact his head is so big... symbolic yet true... I don't know how I feel about the shape of it though...

Somehow my little "angels" found a black marker, fortunately, it turned out to be a dry erase one and was easily cleaned up with a Magic Eraser and Clorox Wipes. It was a little trickier on the center block though...

However, cleaning black marker out of little innie belly buttons is really hard on both mom and victim child. Also the marker in the ears was a little tricky too...All in all, how can I be mad at them... really? Look how happy they are! And walls are just walls after all... Then again, what kind of mom would I be if I didn't make them clean it up?"Missed a spot!!!"

10 comments:

Our Family said...

A nice clean wall must scream, "I'm a canvas just waiting for your creativity to cover me!" to kids. I love how they each made sure to mark their belly buttons. :o) I'm also glad it wasn't too hard to clean up.

DaveandRuth said...

Just before Christmas I bought a Magic Eraser to clean up some of the walls at our house. My kids went to town with them. Had I known they would do it, I would have bought it months ago!

MommyJo said...

Well that looks familiar!!!! My 2 yr old has done that all too many times!!! One Sunday right before we were leaving for church he got a dry erase marker and wrote ALL OVER himself... church clothes too! :( Dry erase does NOT come out of clothes! Just a warning! ;)
But his favorite is the magic marker that does not come off of walls!!! :(

I gotta say... I would not and have not reacted so calmly about it!!! Good for you for making them clean it up!!! ;)

Lydia Dustin said...

Okay so I almost just sprayed a mouth full of coffee on to my laptop. What the heck is going on over there? LOL the same stuff that used to go one over here. Once my daughter got into my mascara and looked like the love child of Tammy Fay and Courtney Love. Oh the scrubbing that little girl endured should have cured her curiosity. Not a chance!

I second the magic Eraser, goo-be-gone oil, and a acid free photo album for later guilt and blackmail.

Keep laughing honey! It’s our only defense.

Kisses, Lydia

Tobi said...

My daughter once covered my leather office chair with lotion. I mean seriously like an inch deep of lotion. I didn't make her clean it because she had also coated herself head to toe. She was looked like Casper the Friendly Ghost. It was a nightmare cleaning up all that lotion! I'm so glad you had the boys help clean up the marker. I bet they loved it and thought it was fun cleaning up.

Amber Lynae said...

Cat, you are right, and your reaction i such a great reaction. I think I would have freaked out and been very angry. I problem of mine is overreacting. I would have realized after wards that it wasn't as big of a deal as I made it out to be. So hopefully your positive reaction will stick in my head if i ever come upon a similar scene at my house.

Otter Thomas said...

You can't get them for blatant destruction of property because they colored themselves too. Best to just enjoy it I guess. I probably would have been less excited than you.

Amanda said...

I remember when we were kids and we lived in this crammed apartment. 5 girls to a room.Needless to say, mom always got on us about keeping our cosmetics out of reach.
We finally learned when my sister decided to paint the complex maintenance man on the closet door with hot pink nail polish. They didn't have Magic erasers 10 yrs ago.

Single Mama NYC said...

God bless your ability to laugh at this stuff, Cat! It makes all the difference in the world.

Amy said...

LOL! That is quite the mural!!! I have SOOO been there... still dealing with those kinds of art projects. Good thing it came off!! Wow, taht could have been bad! Love the pictures.. and LOVE the cleanup!