Friday, January 22, 2010

Fat Butt Friday: You Can Do It!!!


Last night when I went to the gym, it was packed! I barely even got a parking space -- and it was so far from the entrance, my gym buddy and I got a good warm up just walking the distance to get in; and the cool down after to get back to the car.

Once we got inside, we headed to the locker room to dump off our coats in a locker, when I noticed a heavier set woman getting on the scale. She was about the size I used to be before I lost the weight. First of all, I wanted to yell to her not to weigh this late in the day (around 8 pm) because that's just too depressing. Wait until morning! But of course, I couldn't say anything, we're strangers. But my heart went out to her in a moment when I saw her fiddling with the scale and watching her face fall. I thought she was going to cry and I wanted to run right over and give her a hug!

But I didn't.

So today, I want to dedicate this post to her, and to all of you out there who have weight to lose, whether it is 5 pounds or 200.

Here are a few little tips I have picked up along my journey:

Don't you dare give up! Find others that have lost weight and find out their secret, most people are more than happy to share! Live one day at a time, make daily and weekly goals, and before you know it, the 1 or 2 pounds here and there are adding up!

Don't you dare give in! My mom gave me some great advice years ago: When you are tempted to eat a naughty food, ask yourself this question: "Will this taste better than being skinny feels?" And the answer is almost always a resounding "NO!"

Dare to take chances! Get that gym pass you have always been afraid to get! Planet Fitness (that's where I go) has some really great deals and you don't have to make a commitment, cancel anytime. And DON'T stop going!

Don't rely so much on the scale, go by measurements! A couple weeks ago, I worked my butt off at the gym only to gain two pounds! What the !@#$! Then I took my waist measurement and realized that I had lost two whole inches in my waist! Muscle weighs more than fat... and muscle burns fat... muscle is good.

Dare to feel good about yourself! No matter how much you weigh or what size you are, if you feel sexy, you ARE sexy! Don't kid yourself, people are drawn to happy people. Don't be afraid to smile and be kind to everyone. The happier you are inside, I truly believe it keeps the munchies away, gives us more energy, and gets those unwanted pounds off quicker. It is amazing, the power of positive thinking.

So to all my kindred spirits out there who are trying to get in shape, lose weight, and be healthy, hang in there! Seriously, if I can do it, so can you!

Weekly Stats

Starting weight: 279 lbs

Weight last week: 205 lbs
Total loss up until then: 74 lbs
Weight today: 201!!! It's official! I now weigh less than my husband for the first time!!!
Lost this week: 4 lbs
Total loss: 78 pounds
Goal weight: 179 (My hundred pound mark)


For those of you who are new to Fat Butt Friday click here! For those of you joining in, don't forget to leave us your link, so we can come over and cheer you on!!!

3 comments:

Lydia said...

I too have wanted to go up to people in the gym and say keep it up its worth it I was where you are and now look at me. but I am too chicken.

Great job. i know what it is like to be smaller then your hubby after not being. and mine is 6'4". have a great week.

The Carlsons said...

Thank you so much for this wonderful post. I've been frustrated myself lately and needed this little boost to keep going. You are an inspiration.

Amy said...

I am sadly come to accept the fact that I will never weigh less than my husband. He only weighs about 140 lbs... and well.. that would just be absurd for me to weigh that much! (It would be kindof fun though :) )