Monday, December 14, 2009

Sometimes I Wonder...

... What this world is coming to!

Or this country anyway...

Don't worry, I am not going to get political on you, I'm just feeling a little bummed about something Ben told me last night.

When Ben first started his advanced training, he told me that they had a rule on most of the bases now, that the soldiers weren't allowed to leave the base in uniform. Why? Here's the kicker: Because too many soldiers have been singled out and attacked by people, AMERICANS, physically and verbally because of who they are and what they stand for.

When I heard this, I mentioned it on Facebook, and was surprised by how many military wives commented how true it was. Broke my heart. And made me REALLY mad. I would expect this to happen off American bases in other countries, wouldn't even think twice about it, but here on our soil? Good grief!

My stand: if people are anti war, blame the politicians who are the ones orchestrating it, but don't blame the soldiers for just doing their jobs, for protecting their lives and ours.

Then last night, Ben dropped the big bomb shell. They can't even wear their uniforms home to greet their families for Christmas. Talk about a stick in my spoke. What's the fun of jumping up and down and cheering at the airport (with balloons and flags and Welcome home signs) for some regular looking Joe coming off the plane... Not that I would EVER have all that paraphernalia *suspicious eye roll* ... What a let down...

But, you know, it's better to be safe. And I DEFINITELY want my soldier to come home safe to us. Besides, we don't need all the flag waving to welcome home our man... we are just grateful and blessed to have him at all!

Only 5 more days... Not that I am counting or anything...

PS: One of my friends on Facebook, Ruth, posted this a couple weeks ago... of course I cried through the whole thing! Really hit close to home for me:

8 comments:

Otter Thomas said...

Just horrible. I am so sad to hear that. I say God bless all the soldiers, but you already know how I feel.

Lydia said...

we have never really had to deal with this even living in Germany, until we moved here. there are a bunch of young soldiers here doing training between basic and AIT and they get in trouble with the police enough that the wives are told to not even carry military bags like the ones that I make. so that we don't stand out. yes this world is that bad and it is too bad.

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

That's just crazy. I can't believe Americans would give soldiers a hard time. We should thank them fr making such a huge sacrifice. This makes no sense at all! UGH!

Mama Nut said...

Good point, Lydia!

They should make a rule, if you are going to act like an idiot, don't wear your uniform!! There are quite a few stinkers out their that can ruin it for everyone.

I know they teach them not to disgrace the uniform, I guess it just doesn't sink in.

I know where Ben is, the big problem isn't the soldiers themselves, but there are a lot of anti-war and anti-military protesting in DC where Ben is, and it is dangerous for them. But I still wish he could wear it in the airport... who is going to pick on a soldier in the DC airport where security is SUPER tight??

Camryn said...

I am so excited for you! I am so happy your hubby is almost home!!

Post pics for all of us wanting to see the big reunion and blog about your day!

Amber Lynae said...

I am so happy for you Mama Nut.

But is a said state of affairs whe our nation can't support our troops.

Pam said...

This is the first time I've heard this. I agree it is so sad and shocking. We should all honor our men and women in uniform. Shame on us.

Kritta22 said...

I'm catching up on your posts!

When we were stationed in Alaska, they told us not to put stickers on our vehicles that we were military. You know, I love my soldier, or airman. Soldier's wife. Those ones.
In fact, they stopped handing out the DoD stickers for vehicles for that reason. People would walk the parking lots and break into the military ones.

I'm sorry he can't come home in uniform. I always loved that too. And some people buy them drinks and food.
but you are right, better safe than sorry!