Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Small Miracles

A lot of times, we tend to take the small miracles in our lives for granted.

When Sammy was a baby, before we knew he was different in a "special" way, I used to take him to play groups to be around other children. As a first time mom, I didn't see the signs and couldn't understand why Sam wanted to play alone. He wouldn't eat snacks like the other kids, and only wanted formula, even at 18 months. Parents used to sit around and brag about the milestones their children reached at an early age. But no one wanted to hear how Sam was walking at 10 months (they would just tell me that was unhealthy, but how can you stop a child from walking when they want to?) or how he could play computer games at 18 months. When Sam was past his 2nd year, people asked why he wasn't talking like the others, and why he wasn't potty training (and I knew for a fact that boys took longer than girls and I just wasn't worried). I got a lot of nagging to get him evaluated.

That's when we found out he was speech and language impaired. This all includes his inabilities to use silverware, or dress himself, brush his teeth, his sensitivities to foods and textures, also his late potty training, and social skills.

It's been almost a year now, since Sam started getting therapy and going to his special school, and we have seen many miracles in the life of Sam. Now he can brush his teeth (only after I reach all the tough spots), he uses silverware, dresses himself (mostly backwards, but that's just fine!), he is trying to use the potty, he has lots of friends and his vocabulary is 5 times bigger than it ever was!

For parents with normal kids, all these things come naturally. They are usually amazing with #1, but as you have more kids, you come to expect these things to happen. But when your kid just doesn't function like the rest, it is heart breaking to see all the other kids far surpass your own little guy. I used to cry when I would read other's stories about cute things their kids would say, kids that were younger or the same age as Sam. It was so hard. But I got over it.

Now, I focus on Sam and Nephi as individuals, was celebrate with each of them as they reach their milestones on their own time. We cheer and dance and party when Nephi picks up his toys or says something clever. We jig and sing when Sam makes an observation or puts his shoes on the right feet. And we shed tears of joy when they both say those most cherished of words: "I love you."

As for my small miracle this week? I pulled this out of Sam's backpack today:


That, my friends, is a miracle.

14 comments:

Audtey said...

As a mother of two special needs children I understand the miracles you "speak" about. Sam writing his name; that is fantastic! I await the day that either of my children will say momma let alone I love you... What a lucky mother you are and must be a strong one.

Tobi said...

That is beautiful! That is the best gift any Mother could ever get. That is totally AMAZING! Thank you for sharing.

DaveandRuth said...

It is amamzing the stories you tell relate, because they sound just like our little girl. It is wonderful that he is learning to write his name!!!! For the longest time our little girl could not draw a line down the page and then draw a line through it, but she can now! I was excited when I found this out.

Meagan and John said...

I can tell you that I love my son's name 'Johnathan Dominic' unfortunately last year they tried to teach him to spell and recognize Dominic and suddenly this year they demanded that he has to learn how to spell and recognize Johnathan, even though they had yet to teach him Dominic and so the first time in his life I really regret that I names him such a long name, we had planned to just call him JD even so they would still demand we teach him Johnathan--what turd heads!!!! Anyhow, being that I am still awaiting the day that my 5 yr old can spell his name (I didn't know how to spell my own name till after 2nd grade) am so stoked to hear Sam can spell his name, that is totally steller!!!!

we got Dominic's report card the other day and to my surprise he doesn't know or recognize any of the alphabet--which is a surprise because we have been working on it and in his little head he totally know the majority of the alphabet, the only problem is his little mouth can't say them, so even though he knows it is an E his little mouth says C cause C and E are so close, I want to go to a health store and get these things to clean out Dominic's ears and see if that helps him be able to hear us better, it is so hard to watch a kid struggle....
Way to go Sam!!!!

Otter Thomas said...

Very sweet post. Sam seems like an amazing little guy to me.

Amy said...

WOW!!! That is wonderful writing! YAY Sammy!! You go Guy!

Amanda said...

That is awesome! I am so happy for you- I guess this will be a Christmas you won't forget.

Btw; thanks for that little blurb about Sam tackling the Christmas tree...I watched my little one body slam rubber duckie at bathtime and thought...hmmm,another Sammy?
Yeah,we're skipping it this year. For sanity reasons!

Our Family said...

That's awesome! Go Sam!

Jill said...

You already know how I feel. Those small things are such miracles to us moms with kids with special needs. That is so awesome for Sam. It warms my heart. :)

Catherine said...

I used to teach at a preschool for children with special needs, and it gave me such great joy to see these amazing kids, like Sam, blow us all away with the things they were learning to do. Way to go Sam!

Pam said...

Congratulations to Sam! I bet he feels pretty proud of himself!

Amber Lynae said...

It is beautiful Cat. Just Beautiful

Shannon (Coupon Mommy Of 2) said...

I found you through blogmommas, that is great that he did that.

come on over and check out my site.

http://couponmommyof2.blogspot.com

Guilty Mother said...

That, dearest Cat, made me cry :)