Friday, December 18, 2009

Roses, Flight Cancelations, and a Christmas Miracle

The morning of our 5th anniversary started out pretty normal. Waking up to the kids, getting breakfast served, all that good stuff. What I didn't know, was the emotional roller coaster I was about to take a ride on.

I mean, life just couldn 't get better right? I was feeling good about myself, the kids were behaving and Ben was coming home tomorrow afternoon!! I was singing as I went about my daily routine, until Sam came up to me and announced that someone was at the door.

To my astonishment it was a flower delivery guy! My first thought was that he had the wrong house.

"Are you Catherine?"

"Well, I am Catherine Lang..." Making sure he had the right one.

"Yeah, you are the one. These are for you, sign here please."

I just could not believe it! Who would send me flowers? My mom? They were from Ben!!!!!I was so surprised! He really pulled a fast one on me, because it was so out of character for him to send me flowers... ROSES! And the card was really sweet too!! I'll tell you, that man just made a HUGE deposit in my love bank!!!

Nothing could possibly happen to ruin this day...

...Then I got the phone call.

The airlines called me to tell me that "due to bad weather conditions" Ben's flight was canceled and he was rescheduled to take another flight later and make it here at 11:30 pm!!! We were planning on picking him up at 4 in the afternoon. All my happy hopes of a fun reunion with the boys was shot! I couldn't drag them out that late! And it is already a 2 hour drive to the airport.

I cried.

But then I thought, you know, I should be grateful that he is coming home at all tomorrow!

So with a better attitude, I called a babysitter to come sleep on our couch and I planned to go myself to get him. Then the kids could wake up Sunday morning to daddy at home. That would work.

Then I got another call...

ALL flights leaving DC were canceled for Saturday, because of the coming storm. He wouldn't be coming home this weekend at all!! Cry, sob, cry some more.

Ben was really calm about the whole thing and promised me that nothing was going to stop him from getting to us. Sigh. Such a romantic! But I didn't have much hope.

All my friends and family were praying for a miracle just for us. You should have seen my Facebook page! My phone was ringing off the hook! I felt so loved and so thought of!

And I prayed. And prayed. And begged for a Christmas Miracle just for us... Please!

All day long I was agonizing over the unknown. I HATE the unknown. Unknown can really bite!

Then Ben called.

Since all the soldier's flights were cancelled, Ben's CO's came in late last night (Fri) and told them there was one more bus coming for the night that will head toward the airport, if anyone wants to jump that bus and see if they can catch a flight out tonight, then they can go, but they better run fast.

Ben ran fast.

Hauling 70 pounds... he booked it with 40 other soldiers (all in uniform) to the gate to catch that last bus.

He made it. But the bus driver thought he was being taken over... haha... seriously, he was worried, and wanted to know what was going on. Ben told him they were going home for Christmas!

Then they stormed the airport... well, not really, but I bet it sure looked like they were!

And guess what?

Every single one of those soldiers caught a flight home!

Even my Ben.

Instead of picking him up at 4 today, we get to pick him up at 1:00!!!!!!!!!!

The power of prayer, my dear friends. And our own Christmas Miracle.

Pictures and the homecoming story will be posted on Monday.

6 comments:

DaveandRuth said...

Miracles are what Christmas is all about!!

Jill said...

I can't wait to hear how it was to see him again. I'm glad everything worked out. I would have been a mess, too.

Our Family said...

That is a miracle! I am so glad he's going to make it home! It's a good thing he got out when he did; you should see it here. It's been snowing for over 24 hours now and we've gotten at least 2 feet of snow in that time. I just tried to drive to the store and my car got stuck. Anyway, it sounds like he got out in the nick of time!

Pam said...

Yay! I'm so happy Ben has made it home safe and sound. Looking forward to hearing all about your reunion.

Tobi said...

I'm so happy Ben made it home safely. Enjoy your time together to the fullest. I hope you get a babysitter so you and Ben can go out on a date!

Amber Lynae said...

It reminds me of Home Alone. Your life could be a beautiful Christmas movie. Enjoy your Christmas with Daddy Nut.