Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Mac 'n Cheese & Pickles = Deadly Combo

Maybe you can see where I am going with this... or maybe not.

When we woke up yesterday morning, we were all feeling better. The sicknesses were petering out on us, and the boys and I were happy. We even bundled up and got some juice at the local gas station, and then came home to play outside -- the weather was chilly but the sun was shining beautifully!

Sam was really happy to go back to school. Actually, he was ready on Sunday. He actually dressed himself, put his shoes, coat and backpack on and went and stood by the door. Poor little guy, it broke his heart to tell him he still had one more day to go... broke my heart too!

As soon as Sam was safe on the bus, I went in and made Nephi some Mac 'n Cheese. That's what he wanted, and he'll eat the easy mac kind -- easy cheesy for me! (Excuse the pun, I couldn't help myself). Then he wanted some pickles. Sure, a little veggie is good, even if it is in the form of a sour and shriveled cucumber that never made it through puberty.

He ate three.

Big mistake.

About an hour later, Nephi was acting a little weird. He was unusually snuggly and just wanted to lay with me and watch the news. I just took advantage and snuggled him to pieces... I can never be sure when he is going to pop up and run off.

About a half and hour after the snuggle fest, Nephi jumped up off my bed, ran to the computer chair and blew chunks all over it! I'm talking macaroni and pickles everywhere!

I almost lost it too. Where was my manly Ben when I really needed him?

But I did what any mom would do, I set Nephi in the tub, while I cleaned up the mess -- I had to re-swallow my lunch a few times... erk, sorry for that mental image there.

When I got back to Nephi he had vomited all over the tub and his clothes. He really upset about it, crying a lot and telling me he was "okay." Poor little guy! The throwing up continued off and on for the next 6 hours. It was bad. It even bleached my rug out... great.

But I made him a little command post on the couch with towels and blankets, a sippy cup of Pedialite with a little sprite (makes it bubbly and feel good in the tummy). I also let him pick his favorite movies to watch, which calmed him down after each throw up episode. I hovered around with paper towels and a grocery bag waiting to catch what I could, and kept a cold wash-cloth ready to wipe his face and forehead when he needed it. It all went pretty smooth, and I only filled the washer up once with soiled items.

Poor Sam. When he came home, he couldn't figure out why Nephi wasn't playing with him. He kept telling him, "Come play!" or "Come on!". Finally he got the hint and took over with the wash cloth. I can't tell you how sweet it is to see your little guys caring for each other at such a young age... warmed my heart. Sam also showed his big-brother love by bringing Nephi toys and trying to share his favorites.

We had the most peaceful evening in a long, long time. It is amazing to me how our trials can sometimes bring out the best in us and bring us closer together.
Nephi in his sick nest -- it was hard to keep clean clothes on him, so I let him go without for a while... he loved it.




PS -- No worries, Nephi finally was able to keep down his fluids right before bed and slept alright most of the night so far. No fever, so hopefully this will just be one of those 24 hour things.

7 comments:

Our Family said...

Poor little Nephi. Sam is a really sweet brother! I hope you are all feeling better soon!

DaveandRuth said...

I hope he feels better.

Tobi said...

The sickies are no fun at all. Hope Nephi feels better very soon.

Lydia said...

My vote is for no more sick kids.

SJB said...

Poor Nephi.. Hope he will be ok soon.

Bridget said...

Sad! I hope that he feels all the way better soon and that you guys can stay healthy. Ian came down with a fever this morning - maybe it's the holidays or something...

Clueless_Mama said...

I hate when my little guy gets sick. I hope your little one is all better now. Happy Holidays:)
http://www.guessingalltheway.com