Friday, December 25, 2009

It's the Package that Counts... Not What's in It!

A few years ago my father shared some very profound advice with me. First, though, let me give you a little background:

My dad, bless his heart, doesn't have the best track record when it comes to giving my mom Christmas gifts that she really wants. Up until a few years ago, that is, then I think the light bulb finally clicked on and he started scoring big time in that department. BUT this happened a few years ago, when I caught him the in the back room wrapping a box of garage bags for my mom.

"Dad, do NOT tell me those are for mom!" I asked in irritation already knowing the answer but hoping I was wrong.

"Yeah..." He answered. Good grief! I could just see mom's face when she opened that one! She had asked him for a new camera that year, and the box was just the right size... Oh, no, I could already sense the upcoming Christmas disaster...

Then he said something that will always stick with me. Not because it was true, but because it was so profoundly twisted and false that I can't help but remember it!

"Catherine," he said to me. "It isn't what is in the package that is important. Women just like to see presents with their names on them under the tree. They don't really care what's in them..."

I looked at my gray-haired father. How long have they been married now? 25 years? Twenty-five years and he still doesn't get it!?

I had to leave the room when he started wrapping the padding toilet seat. There was no talking him out of it. He just did what he wanted and suffered the consequences. And suffer he did...

It took me a few years, to realize that he wasn't far off... except that he was talking about Men instead of women... It actually wouldn't really matter what I wrapped up for Ben and the boys, because it isn't the quality of presents that count, but the quantity. I don't think I have ever seen a guy who isn't secretly counting his gifts under the tree and comparing his number with everyone else's. Who cares if we wrapped the food storage this year? Or if you only get socks and underwear... Like my wise, wise father once told me, "It's the package that counts, not what's in it!"

As for us woman... you can bet your last dollar it DOES matter what is in that package! But as mothers, big boxes make life so much easier for us...
Merry Christmas everyone!

5 comments:

DaveandRuth said...

Merry Christmas!!!

Lydia said...

Merry Christmas. So true and I laughed and laughed. If I got garbage bags for Christmas I would not be a happy momma.

Amanda said...

I love that Pic of Nephi!! Hilarious!

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Oh that is SOOOOOOO funny!!! And why do kids care more for boxes than toys???

Otter Thomas said...

That first pic is hilarious. They really do like the boxes.