Monday, December 7, 2009

In Which We Flood the Nutshell

It's not as bad as you think... okay, maybe it is...

You may be wondering why I haven't been the best of writer's this weekend, we'll let's just say my hands have been pretty tied. Wouldn't it be great if life happened the way you plan it to sometimes? Why, oh why, does Fate have to throw sticks in our spokes every once in a while and trip us up? Well, I think, it is what makes life so blasted interesting.

Last week, the boys and I were having one of our normal days... if you can call anything normal in this household, anyway. The boys were in watching a Christmas movie, and I was back in my room folding laundry. I had just put my last load in the washer, and I was pleased with myself for all the cleaning accomplishments I had done that day. I think that was my mistake... feeling pleased with myself.

After about 10 minutes, I heard the boys in the other room laughing hysterically. My cue to go in and see what trouble they were getting into this time. I was mortified by what I found.

This time it wasn't them.

I know. Big shocker!

There I found the boys playing in 2 inches of water on the living room floor. The living room was halfway flooded over, so was the boy's bed room, and also our hallway leading to my room.

I ran to the closet where our washer was housed, and opened the door. I was greeted immediately with shower like water spraying everywhere! I quickly turned off the water.

Then I looked around. What was I going to do?

Instead of totally freaking out, I started crying. Why did this kind of thing always happen to me when Ben was gone? Why!?

Then I heard my neighbor walking around upstairs and I hurriedly called him.

"What do I do?" I asked.

Bless his soul! He came down instantly, surveyed the scene, and then dashed off to pick up the housing Rug Doctor. He then went straight to work cleaning up the mess. I took a deep breath. I love it when the man just takes over... isn't it great!? He then told me to go ahead and take the boys and go somewhere, that he would take care of it. I could have hugged him, but I REALLY didn't want to scare him off. So I took the boys out to dinner.

When we came back, the flooding was all gone. The carpets were still soaked but it was livable now... bearable. After thanking him profusely, near kissing his feet, he left me to finish up. We estimated that the water jug on the Rug Doc held about 2 gallons of water, between the two of us, we emptied it 13 times!! That's a lot of water!

It turned out that the hose to my washer blew a hole in it.

Bummer.

My other neighbor's came over and helped me move it out so we could replace the hoses. So good news: No more floods in the near future... I hope... Knock on wood!

And speaking of the future, I can sense some of the questions I will get in the comments, so here are the answers:

1. It took 3 days for the rugs to really dry out... mostly because I went ahead and shampooed them the next day.

2. No, it didn't smell... I think because I shampooed them nice.

And...

3. Yes, I did learn that I can do these things without Ben... but it is MUCH easier to go through it together.

7 comments:

Lydia said...

Im glad you are all dried up, and that the water was clean water.

Yes I agree I can do things without my sweetie, but its much funner to have him around.

Guilty Mother said...

I'd have cried too :)

Our Family said...

That is awful! I'm so glad your nice neighbor helped you out. The image of the boys made me laugh, though. Kids love that kind of stuff!

Otter Thomas said...

Glad you have a good neighbor. Our washer quit working while I was in Scotland. My wife's computer also crashed while I was gone. From the guys perspective we feel terrible when things go wrong while we are away.

MommyJo said...

We've been through that with our old washer and dryer combo!!! Fortuately for me Dave was around... but just barely enough! ;) IT is SO frustrating for it to happen when you are feeling SO on top of things then it all falls apart! I'm SO GLAD that you have GREAT neighbors to help you out!!! :) I am sure that Ben is happy about that too! :)

Tobi said...

I panic and can't think straight in situations like that. I'm glad that you got it all straightened out and that you got new hoses for your washer. I'm so glad you have good neighbors who were willing to step in and help.

Amy said...

What an angelic neighbor!!! How wonderful of him to do that for you. That is seriously amazing! Sorry for the incredible misfortune... yeah not fun without the hubby around. I don't know what I would do without Denton around.. everything would crumble!