Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Adventures in the Snow

I have to admit, I am a bit of a baby when it comes to playing outside in the cold, and in the snow. It just isn't fun to me... hasn't been since I was like 10. When Ben was home, I would have him take the boys out to play. Let the guys get cold, wet and covered in snow. Me? I just want to curl up with a cup of coca and watch a movie.

But when you take someone very important out of the equation, Ben, that leaves me to be the snow hero, and take them out. So I have been putting it off since the first snow. I find every excuse to rationalize my choice to keep us in: Nephi has a runny nose, I have a headache or a cold, Sammy might have swine flu... the list goes on.

Yesterday, I finally forked out the bucks to get the kids some snow boots, and this morning I bucked up and let them outside. Fully determined just to sit on the porch and read, I bundled up and plopped down to keep warm. But I couldn't help but watch the boys as the curiously explored the snow creations that other families had made.

The snow fort was pretty cool:And the snowman was freaking huge!I felt something boiling up inside, as I watched my boys look on in wonder... My firstborn, red competitive personality started to emerge from deep within... oh, oh!

I flew out of my seat and called to the boys: "Come on, guys!! I am going to show you how to make one!!" Take that neighbors!

Taking it into account that I haven't made a snowman for at least 18 years, it took me a few minutes of staring at the snow to remember how to start one.

Hmmm.... I think I make a little snowball and start rolling it. Yeah, that's working... just roll it around. This isn't too hard...

Ball gets bigger.

Okay, now it's getting a little tough. Come on, Cat, be a woman! Buck up! Keep it rolling! Oh, that hurts... do I seriously have a muscle there? Oh, my gosh, I think it's cramping!

"Sam, get over here and help!"

"Don't just stand there, help me roll it!"

"You are NO help, whatsoever!"

"Nevermind, this is as good as any place for our snowman." At least you could see it from our window. Man, I am sweating! Let me take my hat and coat off for level two of the snowman...

Okay, let me stretch a little... awww, that feels better. Okay, lets start rolling ball numero 2.

MWAHAHAH.... I made the biggest, badest Snowman ever!!Just kidding.

It was actually a little pathetic...

So much for my perfessional snowman making skills. Each of the balls got A LOT smaller than the last... I was wearing out big time. Oh, well. At least the kids thought I was pretty awesome. Mostly because our snowman, had a hat! Neener, neener!Oddly enough, it turned out my kids weren't interested in building snowmen. They didn't even want to throw snowballs. I threw one at Sam, and he looked at me like I was Santa taking his toys back! All they wanted to do was to shovel the snow. Figures...

9 comments:

MommyJo said...

Hey... their desire to shovel snow may pay off someday!!!! Hopefully it lasts A LONG TIME!!! ;) It is a good way to burn energy and you don't have to entertain them so much... just make sure they don't attack each other with the shovels! ;)

Otter Thomas said...

I would love to make a snow man. Alas that much snow happens in Arkansas about once a decade.

Jill said...

Too true.. sometimes it is the simplest things the kids love the most.... like a box and not the toy!

Haley Hatch Freeman said...

Great pics! I love how you used a bucket for a hat for the snowman, great idea!

Amber Lynae said...

Big smiles. I love your snowman. It is awesome that you got out there and built it.

I hope the boys keep their love of shoveling snow. It will sure help a mom out to have snow shovelers

Guilty Mother said...

Oh, I'm with you. Me and the cold just don't get on. I'd far sooner sit inside all rugged up with a good book and a hot drink. I kinda like the snow though, when it's fresh and crunchy, not grey and soggy. We don't get where I live. Odd, I've been away from Scotland living in New Zealand for 35 years and I still can't get used to warm sunny Christmas's. Have a great one Cat :)

Anonymous said...

I am not a snow person either. Raised in sunny Califorinia. I too admire you with your snow adventure. Your boys will remember when dad was gone and mom made the snowman. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Our Family said...

Those are really cute photos, Cat! I love the ones of Nephi and Sam leaning against the snowman! Looks like fun!

Tobi said...

Adventures in snow are a childhood must! I'm so glad you bucked up and took the boys out. Hopefully you wore them out and they slept well that night.