Tuesday, November 10, 2009

My Secret Recipe

Now, I have said this before, but it was never my intention of posting recipes on this blog. That's what Jill's Recipe Blog is for, right? However, last month I promised everyone I would post my Famous English Toffee Recipe for you for the coming holidays.

This recipe is my own, tweaked to perfection, and everyone seems to love it. So here it is!

Cat's English Toffee

--2 sticks of Salted Sweet Cream Butter (MUST be salted, or the toffee will separate -- it's happened to me before, stinks!)
--1 cup of sugar
--1/4 cup water
--Chocolate bar or chocolate chips -- I prefer the Hershey's Milk Chocolate Chips
--Chopped pecans (optional, but I always use them)

Directions:

Rub cookie sheet with one of the sticks of butter to prevent sticking. Put the butter in a frying pan and melt. Add sugar and water.

It will look like this for a long time, just keep stirring:
Not done yet... keep going...
AH! Yeah! That's the golden brown you're going for! (Below)
Now you are going to pour it onto the cookie sheet. Let sit for a few minutes until slightly hard. BE CAREFUL, the pan gets hot really fast!(sorry, the picture is sideways)

While still warm, sprinkle the chocolate chips onto it, or break up chocolate bar and put the pieces on top.At this point my camera died... so I didn't get a picture of the melted chocolate or the finished product... sorry. I am super bummed about that, because they look just beautiful! (Update: made a new batch last night and took some pictures, check out below.)

Anyway, when the chocolate melts spread it around with a butter knife, covering the whole thing. Add the pecans (or walnuts) if desired while chocolate is still melted soft so they stick nice.

IMPORTANT: Now this is the step that makes the toffee the best. Put the whole sheet into the fridge until the chocolate is hardened. This takes 2-3 hours. For some reason the coolness of the fridge makes the toffee set in a softer, cruncher way that makes it fabulous!

When it is cooled completely, the toffee will look light yellowish-gold in color.

Pull out of fridge and break up with a butter knife. It can be stored on the counter or in the fridge, it doesn't matter.That's it!! Pretty easy, huh?

Good luck and have fun!

10 comments:

Tobi said...

Sounds easy, fun and yummy! I can't wait to make this for the sisters I visit teach! Or at least that is the excuse I'm going to use when I make Cat's Toffee.

Jill said...

Ooooooh YUMMY!!! I think you still need to post it to the Recipe Blog. :)

SJB said...

Yummm Yummm.

Bridget said...

I'm dying here! Why can't I eat chocolate without my little one going crazy. This definitely needs to be remedied soon, because I love this toffee!

Amanda said...

That sound so easy!I definitely have to try this recipe. Don't worry i'll be sure to give the credit to whom it due...unless the complements just start flyin'- then I might be a little tempted to just bask in them. Thanks!

Our Family said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

hurstburst said...

Good golly! That looks crazy good and not so difficult. I'm not a huge baker/confectioner during the holidays but this would make a great gift. I may have to revisit this post later!

kanishk said...

at least that is the excuse I'm going to use when I make Cat's Toffee Work from home India

Young Wife said...

Found your blog through SITS. This looks delicious!

Christi said...

Hi from a fellow SITSA! HO HO HO! I always include Toffee in my goodie trays for Christmas. I'll be trying your secret recipe this year. Looks delish!

FatBottomBLOG